• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7 860 overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YanWest

Hi everyone.
I have Core i7 [email protected] Ghz and I'd like to push it further up to 4.0-4.2 Ghz.

Here is the screen shorts of the Bios:

If anybody has any suggestions I'll be very grateful for advice! ;)

Last edited:
Why don't you try bumping up bclk to 191 (~4.0GHz) with your current voltage settings and stress test for stability? You could also probably bump down some on your PLL voltage as well.

What is the model/part# for your ram kit?

I ran my i7 860 for a long time at 4.0 GHz. I never touched the PCIE BCLK. Left it at 100 for stability. You can also leave your C1E enabled -- it never affected my OC and it allowed the chip to see lower Voltages when it was not working.

You can set your Turbo Boost to Enabled. That will allow your chip to run at a BCLK of 182. I found that running the BCLK at 191 gave me hotter temps for the same OC.

For the earlier generation of X58 chips, you could trade off one of the Voltages for Vcore. But for the i7 860 Lynnfield chips, the memory controller was on-die, so increasing the Voltage to that would not allow you to reduce Vcore.

Follow the instructions and you will get a good OC.

And never cross your 5v and 12v lines -- that's what killed my mb and drove me to Haswell.

Last edited:
I've set PCIE BCLK as 100mhz.

Tried to set 200 fsb and 20 multiplier with all settings mentioned above.
Ram was as 1200mhz.

System boots up, but after 5 min of OSST Linx - I've got BSOD.

So as for now, I have 175x22 = 3850 mhz. absolutely stable in Linx, Games and other soft.
But I can't get out of my mind the number 4000 mhz.

What will you recommend else?

For some reason, the 200x20 combo had a b-a-a-a-d reputation on Lynnfield. That's why you try 191x21 and 182x22. I don't remember all the controls, but there was one Voltage -- maybe Vcc? -- that the i7 920 guys used to push up to keep their Vcore down. You could try pushing that up a tad, but it never made any difference to my OC.

One thing that happened to me was that my i7 875k started giving me BSOD's after I had it a few years. I toned it down from 133x30 (4GHz) to 133x27 (3.6GHz). It has been stable ever since, and my daughter is running it 12-14 hr/day.

My first i7 860 didn't OC very well. My second i7 860 could handle 4GHz, but the amount of heat it generated forced me to go with the 182 BCLK.

Another variable with that era chip was that a lot of your OC capability came from the MB. Some motherboards were better overclockers than others.

Bottom line: you may never see a LinX-stable 4GHz.

Last edited:
For some reason, the 200x20 combo had a b-a-a-a-d reputation on Lynnfield. That's why you try 191x21 and 182x22. I don't remember all the controls, but there was one Voltage -- maybe Vcc? -- that the i7 920 guys used to push up to keep their Vcc down. You could try pushing that up a tad, but it never made any difference to my OC.

One thing that happened to me was that my i7 875k started giving me BSOD's after I had it a few years. I toned it down from 133x30 (4GHz) to 133x27 (3.6GHz). It has been stable ever since, and my daughter is running it 12-14 hr/day.

My first i7 860 didn't OC very well. My second i7 860 could handle 4GHz, but the amount of heat it generated forced me to go with the 182 BCLK.

Another variable with that era chip was that a lot of your OC capability came from the MB. Some motherboards were better overclockers than others.

Bottom line: you may never see a LinX-stable 4GHz.

Just tried 191x21 and 182x22 - with 182 not booting, with 191 boots, loads OS, after 5 min of LinX - BSOD.

So, I guess 175x22 it's my maximum. :(

Back