• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Core i9-10900K and i5-10600K CPU Review: The Core Wars Continue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On the other hand, CPU overclocking isn't required for ages. I think that the last time anyone had to overclock CPU because it was too slow, was about 15 years ago. Now games mostly need fast graphics cards as even 4 core i3 is enough for most titles. Look at "gaming" laptops. Significantly slower than desktops and are good enough for games. Of course there can be exception if anyone runs at 4k+ with 2-3 graphics cards but this is maybe 1% of all users so who really cares.

Agreed. Just got 9300h+1660ti for €800 and it is more than enough for 1080p gaming.

And still pretty ok for prod if not doing pro stuff.

But still, the fun of squeezing every ounce of perf out of the hardware is gone...

That's why I deleted my hwbot account (sorry Scotty!).

Hard to argue with you, Woomack. These new chips are running like Ferrari's at redline out of the box. I read on Toms Hardware a couple days ago that a delidded 10th gen chip ran almost 10C cooler, but Derbauer couldn't get any more MHz out of it.

Even bolting my 2080Ti to my 2600K yielded fine 4K gaming. I only built a new rig because I felt like it. A bit snappier, but not really needed either for the money. Any old cheap CPU can run 4K games with a beast GPU.

Any old cheap CPU can run 4K games with a beast GPU.
I feel like this needs a "(for now) any old cheap cpu can run 4k games with a beast GPU". Once the new consoles drop I feel like game requirements are going to go up dramatically.

Hard to argue with you, Woomack. These new chips are running like Ferrari's at redline out of the box. I read on Toms Hardware a couple days ago that a delidded 10th gen chip ran almost 10C cooler, but Derbauer couldn't get any more MHz out of it.

Even bolting my 2080Ti to my 2600K yielded fine 4K gaming. I only built a new rig because I felt like it. A bit snappier, but not really needed either for the money. Any old cheap CPU can run 4K games with a beast GPU.
Right... because 4K gaming doesn't rely on the CPU.

That said, an overwhelming majority of gamers (according to steam stats) are still at 1080p or LOWER where the CPU plays a much more significant role in higher FPS. I think less than 2% of steam users rock 4K UHD...

I wouldn't touch a quad core, even with HT for gaming today at any resolution. Too many titles right now have a glass ceiling on them.

It's hard to fight with marketing. CPU manufacturers have to sell something but I wish they were releasing less but better. We don't need 2-3 refreshed chips each generation but it's the way how AMD and Intel fight with each other, on the number of premieres per year. AMD is clearly on the winning position right now while Intel desperately releases the next refreshed chip under new name, with a new chipset and new socket. Even though it's still good, then it's disappointing.

Your statement makes it seem like 9900k performance with 2 additional cores isn't impressive. They still hold the gaming crown which is all some people care about. I almost find it more impressive in some regards what Intel can squeeze out of their 14nm+++++++++++++

I am also glad AMD is back in the game or else we wouldn't have gotten those 2 extra cores.

That's similar to how I have been feeling! I have been suspecting that without AMD making a major comeback, we would still be stuck with $400 4-core/8-thread Intel processors or the like, price-wise!

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, became the "processor-malaise era".

Back