• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel CPU confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I will probably be looking for a new CPU within the year , and despite my dislike for the Dark Side , I may have to go Intel if AMD doesn't do some serious work to get their #&*@ together in the overall performance arena. While browsing i7s on newegg I discovered far more questions than answers. Why do some CPUs not seem to have a memory controller ? (Socket 2011) Some seem to show no L2 cache , some have 6x265 KB L2 and some 12 MB or 15 MB. Price/specs seem to be all over the place and I can't make heads or tails of most of it. In some cases slower costs more , fewer features are more expensive. Can someone point me to a Haswell/Broadwell For Dummies ? At least AMD chips were easy to tell apart-cost , cores , speeds , are in some kind of discernible order. With Intel , the more I "know" , the less I understand. I've been reduced from the ability to somewhat discuss processors (AMD) with some confidence , to the level of "I can haz cheezburger ?" :shock:

All Intel CPUs since, I believe the 2600K series, have their IMC on the CPU.

s2011 does not have an integrated GPU... but its IMC is on the CPU too.

Basically though, Pentium are dual cores, i3's are dual cores which have HT. I5's are quad cores, no HT, while i7's are either quads with HT (desktop not laptop i7) or hex's/octo's. Broadwell... check out the review on the front page. It lists all the SKUs.

Haswell SKUs - http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=930

Last edited:
OK. I was reading the comparisons on newegg and the descriptions. Missing information doesn't necessarily equate to missing components , but their info is apparently full of holes. LOL I'll definitely check the review , but I just realized Anandtech probably has some benchmark comparisons I can check , too. I'm gonna miss cheezburger...err , AMD.

I definitely will not want Intel graphics in my CPU. No use for them and can't see any reason to pay for/have them take up space. Some overclocking , however , is a must. After all , I come here for answers and advice ! I have a rough idea of what I'll want-at least 6 cores , HT , better than middle of the pack speed , OC ability , DDR4 (at least 16 GB) at least 2400 MHz. There will likely be a whole slew of new chips by the time my finances are ready , but I'm trying to get a head start on learning where to look and what to look for in the Empires processors. If I start now maybe I can follow the lines that I'm interested in through their further development and be decently informed by then. Once I have a chip in mind I can start looking at motherboards. I'll probably learn way more than I need for my limited use , but I just hate going in to something and not knowing all I can. It's a sickness. LOL

You don't have to use the integrated GPU on the Intel processors. If you plug in a discrete video card it will be disabled, just like AMD APUs and FX CPUs.

I'm actually open to an APU from AMD , if they keep bumping up the CPU performance and add a GPU that can Xfire with a decent card , but I don't really see them coming up with anything to compete with a good i7 , even if they glue a Fury X to it. It's probably mild OCD , but if I'm not going to use the GPU on the chip I don't want it on the chip. It may end up being the last rig I build so I want as much performance as I can afford. (yeah. I've only said that twice so far.) Bang for the buck is nice , but one time I'd like to just go for the biggest bang I can get.

The six and eight core Intel's don't overclock as well as say, the 4790k with four cores and four threads, so the per core performance with those non IGP Intel bug gun chips will suffer. So the six and eight core Intels won't be as good for gaming as a 4790k or 4970k 4690k for instance that do have the IGP. What are you going to be using it for?

Last edited:
Now that's the kind of information I have been trying to shake loose from the mountain of specs and dizzying array of processors from Intel. I'll mostly be using it for dull web surfing and gaming. Maybe playing with some video projects. My new build will also be used for music storage , so a good audio card will be part of the plan. The potential for OCing CPU and memory is purely for hobby reasons , not because I'll need any more performance than will be available from the stock parts. OC is learning and a sense of accomplishment much like all the cars and motorcycles I've hot rodded. It's for testing myself more than the parts.
Reading that least part gives me a sense of irony. I want to immerse myself in the technical for purely emotional reasons. LOL At my age I can be fickle without apologizing so why not ?

The six and eight core Intel's don't overclock as well as say, the 4790k with four cores and four threads, so the per core performance with those non IGP Intel bug gun chips will suffer. So the six and eight core Intels won't be as good for gaming as a 4790k or 4970k for instance that do have the IGP. What are you going to be using it for?
while that is technically true, it really isn't by much. My 5820k happily goes to 4.8ghz. Dinos 5960x is an absolute beast and can almost reach 5ghz I believe. I would bet, just like 4790k, you will be able to get 4.5ghz on most cpus. The hexs and octo require a bit more cooling though.

Typically 100-200 mhz on an overclocked intl won't make more than a negligible difference in gaming when you are sitting above 4ghz or so.

But for your uses alaric, the 4690k will be fine. And if you get a board with the latest realtek audio, I doubt you would need a sound card.

I may get an outboard DAC and skip the sound card , but that would be pricey. I can always listen to the onboard audio and make a decision then. I'd like six cores because there are games that take advantage of multiple cores , and I am prone to leaving things running while gaming. And , ultimately , having more than I need is preferable to needing more than I have.
This thread is gathering a lot of the important info I was looking for. Thanks Guys ! :clap:

I may get an outboard DAC and skip the sound card , but that would be pricey. I can always listen to the onboard audio and make a decision then. I'd like six cores because there are games that take advantage of multiple cores , and I am prone to leaving things running while gaming. And , ultimately , having more than I need is preferable to needing more than I have.
This thread is gathering a lot of the important info I was looking for. Thanks Guys ! :clap:

Well, if you're going to overclock the hex core aggressively then better get some real good cooling, like custom water.

Trents, I love you man...:grouphug:

For the record, I ran with my 4930K and my 5820K close to 4.5Ghz with my Kraken X60 AIO. I had decent, (not great at all) silicon though. If you get bad silicon and still want to push, custom water may be needed. But an average chip and a GOOD AIO should yield you mid 4GHz clocks.

Remember, these chips have solder TIM. ;)

Trents, I love you man...:grouphug:

For the record, I ran with my 4930K and my 5820K close to 4.5Ghz with my Kraken X60 AIO. I had decent, (not great at all) silicon though. If you get bad silicon and still want to push, custom water may be needed. But an average chip and a GOOD AIO should yield you mid 4GHz clocks.

Remember, these chips have solder TIM. ;)

Solder! Oh yeah, forgot. Good, I won't have to talk him into delidding then when the time comes.

Thank God.

What he said. LOL The rig I want to build will have water. It may be the opportunity to build my first loop. I've been pretty happy with my Corsair as it keeps my FX temps in line under some pretty lousy environments. I often have no AC and live in downtown Phoenix. At 115F keeping the CPU cool is not always easy. It holds 4400 MHz with no voltage bump , but those ambient temps are still a killer. I have the radiator mounted on the side panel and put a frozen half gallon of water directly in front of the rad with the fans pulling from the outside of the case. Good for about 5C! When the finances are worked out the new rig will be built in the new home. A nice custom loop will be necessary for playing with OC on the new chip. If I weren't going to do that I'd consider a server board and a couple Xeons.

4.2GHz seems optimal looking at wattage/performance. Most 6 cores run at this clock at stock or lowered voltage while performance is more than enough for games. Lowering wattage is lowering heat but also noise from PSU ... of course if you care about things like that.

Back