• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel DP45SG and Q9550 overclocking won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mookie_D

Hello

I tried to overclock my Q9550 CPU running on Intel DP45SG Motherboard with factory BIOS, I never upgraded the BIOS.
I used Intel Desktop Control Center (IDCC.4.3.0.1198 XP SP3) and changed settings from 333 to 500 and from 1.16 something to 1.3, the software asked me to reboot, I rebooted and since then the box won't come back up.
I tried to reset the BIOS in several ways:
1. removed the battery and wait 1 hour - didn't help
2. used the CMOS jumper to clear the bios from http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dp45sg/sb/CS-031124.htm - didn't help
3. tried the recovery from http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm - didn't help

Still, when I turn on the box, fans move, I can here the hard drive start, but I get blank screen, no POST beeps - nothing. just this blank screen.

Any help please!

LOL you actaully changed the FSB from 333 to 500? LOL Anyway you didnt do the cmos reset properly. Try to do it again and make sure to hold pins together for 5 seconds with power in the motherboard. Other way of deleting cmos is removing the battery. If you remove it make sure to short circut the pins after removal to empty the capacitors. Else leave it out for a day.

Thanks iSatanic!

I managed to reset the bios.
cmos jumper in clear mode, bios jumper in maintenance mode, turn on, wait 30 seconds and viola!

Welcome!

Check out the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide in my signature before you kill something. :p

LOL just diving right into a 500fsb, make sure you read through the Overclocking guide a few times that earthdog is talking about, it will get you on the right track.

Thanks for the help guys,
After playing with it a lot, I managed to over clock to a stable 3.3Ghz, but I had to lower down the memory back to 800!
After I while I gave up over clocking as if it means the memory will be that slow, I won't gain that much
So going back to defaults without overclocking, I found out that my memory is 1333Mhz, however when the bios setup for memory is 1333, the memory becomes VERY SLOW, only when I set it up down to 1066 it goes back to normal speed like it was before all the overclocking games.
Any idea why this happens?
Any way to run memory at 1333Mhz with and without overclocking the CPU?
Any way to overclock the CPU and still getting 1333Mhz ram?

Thanks once again

Memory slowness happens to me too. I guess it because of errors that start occuring. You can try to loosen timings to make it more stable at higher clocks but really you dont gain much in the actaull speed because of looser timings. The way to oc memory is to change ratio so it remains at stock clock and then try to tighten the timings a bit.

What do you mean by "the memory becomes VERY SLOW"? Either post a direct link to your specific RAM, a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab, or the model number of each DRAM module (anything that shows us the rated timings and voltage at the modules rated DDR3-1333 frequency). You might also want to post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU and Memory tabs.

First attaching default results:
28tgntg.jpg 28tgntg.jpg

21vurb.jpg 35au91u.jpg

21cfog7.jpg 2ptq6pt.jpg

1sxmxu.jpg 2j61b12.jpg

multiplier is maximum of 8.5 with Q9550 so that can't be raised.
I could increase the FSB only a little bit without increasing voltages, but then the oc is only to around 3-3.1Ghz, when increasing the voltages, even only by a notch or two it won't boot or won't be stable

What do you guys think as for the oc potential here?
Any ideas how to max things out?

Thanks

Ok this is after some hours of playing with it

mm54ax.jpg 21vurb.jpg
35au91u.jpg ncd1ug.jpg
2ptq6pt.jpg 1sxmxu.jpg
2j61b12.jpg
perfres.gif

Any opinions? What should I change? How can I make it better?
Any higher than 3.6 is not stable even if I increase the cpu voltage.

Update:
I ran Prime95 on this setup, and the box froze after a minute or so
I tried pumping more cpu voltage, but it made things worse
So I took it back down to 3.4Ghz and ran Prime95 for about 15 minutes, it worked fine without errors, however, cpu0 temp was about 100c, cpu1 98c, cpu2 85c, cpu3 85c.
This is all with the intel stock cooler.
As I read, I shouldn't go higher than 70c on the stress testing, so I guess that my cooling is insufficient.
Any ideas for a better cooling?
Will better cooling allow me to faster?

Ur problem is probably memory speed. Try 3:4 ratio, set FSB at 500. Set cpu multiplier accordingly so the speed remains the same. Also if you have an option to raise north bridge voltage you may want to raise it a bit too. And yes if you want to go any higher you will need better cooling. Never go over 90c besause it is dangerous fpr cpu.

Or drop back to 1:1 ratio like the guides say to do.......

but clearly he needs to get his temperatures in line before anything.

Back