• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel EMT64 Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

^^^Floorkiller^^^

Hi all and happy new years..

I have a question about intels latest EMT64 (64bit) cpu, will it work on a 775socket board or will it need a special EMT64 mobo?

Since the EMT64 is using 775 cpu socket it would not be a problem, but im not sure.
Now i have called Intel about this, but i was redirected (obvious) to a site on the internet were i was gonna search for the specific location to were i would call and get the technical information.
The only problem was that when he was trying to tell me the www. he talked in Danish/English and i just could not understand crap.
So i tought to myself, i just ask the good guys over at overclockers.com, they always have an "ace up the sleeve" and to help one out.
So is the EMT64 (64bit enabled) working on a regular 775socket mobo with intels latest chipset, or??

/Happy New Year to all, and thx :bday: :beer:

I have not found a definitive answer on this subject. I found this quote at Hexus which makes it sound like we might need the new i925XE chipset to make this happen.

Being a premium chipset that straddles home and workstation markets in equal measure, the 925XE also supports Intel's Extended Memory 64 Technology which, as the name sounds, supports 64-bit memory addressing. Note that you'll need special EMT64 processors and 64-bit OS's for it to function correctly.

Here is what Intel says about their EM64T.

* Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel® EM64T) requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See www.intel.com/info/em64t for more information including details on which processors support EM64T or consult with your system vendor for more information.

Looks like you need a mobo that supports 64-bit and an OS that supports 64-bit, in addition to the EM64T CPU.

Thx Batboy.. I had a feeling about that.

But i belive i have read somewere about these EMT64 cpus are going to overtake the market in 2005, so maby its a bit early to go and buy a cpu of this kind today.

/thx :santa2:

^^^Floorkiller^^^ said:
Thx Batboy.. I had a feeling about that.

But i belive i have read somewere about these EMT64 cpus are going to overtake the market in 2005, so maby its a bit early to go and buy a cpu of this kind today.

/thx :santa2:

In order for this to occur, XP 64-bit would need to be released, first. It's been marred with so many delays that it's hard to put an exact date of it's arrival. Personally, I wouldn't concern myself with EMT64 compatibility at this moment, but it's a wise move to make when it comes to future-proofing.

deception``

Back