• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Files suit against Nvidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
If you have been reading the tech news today, you probably have already heard about this Suit filed by Intel stating that Nvidia does not have the right to create chipsets for their CPUs that use the IMC. Or something along those lines.

Article can be found here: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Sues+NVIDIA+Over+Chipset+Manufacturing/article14322.htm

I was reading the article and found this:
NVIDIA maintains that the suit is nothing but an attempt by Intel to slow the adoption of NVIDIA platforms and protect a decaying CPU business where the CPU has become much less relevant compared to the GPU inside a PC.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? I don't see how the CPU is dieing. In fact it is being upgraded to a revolutionary new idea of that of CPUGPU.

wow ok i think some one is way off on that article. with out a processor its gonna be hard to have a computer in a common sence, if a GPU becomes the main processor of a computer then its still a CPU there for....not dieing.

i also think if intel is suing over nvidia making chipset for intel platforms they are #1 shooting them selves in the foot and #2 should done something about it a LONG time ago if they were to do any thing but it would go back to #1

i think nvidia shot themselves when they decided to pick a fight with intel. intels going to have cpu/gpu single dies and is only going to get stronger, as compared to nvidia and their loss of chipset market

The first mistake was Nvidia giving the rights to their SLI technology to Intel for their x58 chipset. Of course Intel wants nothing to do with Nvidia now, Intel has what it wants.

quote from VR-Zone.net
It looks like a reenact of the saga between Intel and VIA where Intel tried to block VIA on having the Pentium 4 FSB license back in 2001. As a result, many board makers were reluctant to make motherboards based on VIA chipsets, fearing of getting involved in the lawsuit. Therefore, we asked the same question if the motherboard makers will make boards based on Nvidia's Nehalem chipset. Most makers replied that they are waiting for further instructions from both sides and one of the makers is reluctant citing poor support from Nvidia as one of the reason.

Nvidia Chipset = gone? Could we really see the end to the Nvidia chipsets? It is possible, if they do not win this lawsuite. If they don't, they have two options right now: either quit all together or make a pact with Intel and have the SLI and Nvidia chipset exclusive to Intel or something similar.

Could it also be that Intel is trying to get more into the graphic chip side and doesn't want the competition from Nvidia to spoil their bonus features. (Which would only work with an Intel card then)

Intel=Microsoft=Sony=Evil Empires! DON'T FEED THE MONSTER WITH YOUR MONEY! :temper: (Don't look now but Apple and Google are joining the club, so they can beat us over the head with it :eek:)

There is something about size and market share that turns companies to the dark side. At some point Intel will over reach itself. Destroying Nvidia does not seem to be in Intel's best interest. Maybe they are trying to beat them down to size for a corporate take over?

I need two! :beer: :beer: (Hey, it's happy hour somewhere)

R7

I don't see Intel taking over Nvidia. They had the chance back in 2001 or something like that. They are probably doing the same thing as they did to AMD. I doubt that Intel will make it far in the graphics department though. They tried many times, and they are still trying, but no matter what, people will always go Nvidia, or AMD for graphics.

Back