• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5-3750k temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

root1

So I built my new rig and need some knowledgable answers:

Intel i5-3570K
Arctic Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 heatsink/fan w/ Arctic Silver 5
Intel DZ77BH-55K
16GB 1333 stock
Intel Cherryville 520 120GB SSD (OS)
2 x WD 500GB (RAID 1) (data)

CPU Temps (no OC)
Idle: hover at 38-40c.
Load (IBT, Prime95): 80-85c

Do these temps seem correct? Seems I was getting the same with the stock fan that came with the 3570K and invested a few extra bucks to help keep it a tad cooler. I have reinstalled heatsink 3x now. Once with the stock pre-applied thermal paste, once with AS 5 (pea size), and once with AS 5 using the spread method (thin directly on the heatsink). I guess I was looking for 25c idle and no more than 55-60c under a load. Am I asking too much from air?

If I need to go liquid, and solid recommendations (not known for leaking, evaporating, easy to install with no backplate, etc)

THANKS!

they do seem just a little high even for a stock cooler. the temps are wayyy outside my comfort limits. if i was you i would spend 35$ for a cooler master hyper 212 evo

Its clearly to see you not happy or convinced with your Temps, but as a quick thing to do try testing with your door off! The reason is simple if the Temps go down quite a bit, then you have a cool airflow problem? Then if it stay's the same then you will need to think about changing your CPU Cooler. So i will post you this to look at so you can read up on which you want to go for! AJ.

1, http://www.techspot.com/products/cooling/

Take your time read the reviews and check the sizes against your case before you buy?

You installed 3 times. You got the HS tight enough? You done lots of these installs? How does the paste look when you remove the cooler? Pics?

Not sure about the case airflow. Pics again please.

And a quick search found this:

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 cooler was able to outperform our OEM heat sink but only just barely. If you have one of these lying around or have a chance to grab one for super cheap than I suggest using it in place of the stock solution. Otherwise I see no merit in buying one at the current asking price. There are better performing coolers to be had.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/11/budget_cooler_roundup/6

Just looking at the fan setup it's not a good cooler. The fan is very small and doen't concentrate air into the fins at all. A pretty crappy design.

Get this: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or EVO. Cheap, we recommend it ALL the time. It will drop your CPU temps a lot as long as you don't have a really crappy case with no airflow.

You just didn't know better and went with 'marketing guy spouting garbage so he has a boat payment'. The cooler I recommend is fully all over Google as a great cooler, and here also. Reviews are your friend. Use them.

Many thanks for everyone's replies. Been in IT for over 15 tears, first dive into building my own machine...

I did notice the heat sink wasn't completely screwed down (dumba** moment). So cleaned & reapplied AS5 and made sure heatsink was screwed down completely. I have a Thermaltake 80mm intake, Thermaltake 80mm outlet (back) and a Thermaltake 120mm side blowing into the case.

Idle temps now 28-30 C. General surfing, some Photoshop 35-38 C. IBT tops out at around 72 C. Core voltage swings between 0.992 and 1.000 per CPU-Z. Again, no OC jus stock 3570K.

Yeah, I will be picking up a 212 Plus or Evo here soon. Nice thing is my case is cutout on the backside when I remove the opposite cover giving me access to the back side of the board so hopefully I won't have to remove the whole mobo to get the 212 backplate on.

I guess for now, better than it was.

You should move to a modern case. 80mm fans make noise and have much less airflow.

Get with the times. Wattage overall has increased, so you need modern cooling.

AND, you get more airflow with less noise.

Removing the mobo from the box and reading the manual twice before placing the mobo onto a nice piece of cardboard would of probably made the install of your first cooler easier. It's a hobby, hard work and touching stuff is part of the game.

My latest build took me 2 days on cardboard with basic install of ram, CPU cooler/I removed the cooler after first install, noticed I had too much paste on the first application, hard drive connections, fan testing, load testing etc before I even put one part in the case. My W7 install on the SSD and utilities on the 1TB HD etc done and made sure it was all good before the case was even part of the picture.

What's the hurry? It's a hobby.

Back