• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Intel i5 4670K vs i7 4770K vs AMD FX-8350; which to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattBrap

Registered
I most likely will be upgrading my computer in a few months, or later when the new Nvidia GTX 800 series comes out in 2014. My main focus is CPUs and which to get. I've always built AMD computers and I've found them years ago to be better than Intel, but then the Intel 3rd generation came along and I heard since then Intel has been on top. I've still kept strong with AMD and awhile back the Intel 4th generation came out. When I play with my friends on games like ARMA 2 and 3 which are CPU-intesive games I lag a lot, but my friends don't lag once and they have Intel i5s, and i7s in the 3rd gen.
Since I see how disappointingly AMD is somewhat falling behind from many comparisons, not to say their APUs are crap because they are one of the best things they've been pumping out, I am thinking of going with Intel. But one option staying with AMD is the FX-8350 and I've seen many good performances with it, but Intel still gets a little bit of an edge against it.

So my real question is that since I play CPU-intensive games like the new ARMA 3 what would be better out of the three: AMD FX-8350, Intel i5 4670K, or Intel i7 4770K?

If it makes it any easier, I just like to say that besides gaming, I do a bit of Photoshopping, and video editing (Sony Vegas).

Also, a side question: I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, and I am wondering that if I were to get anywhere from 4-4.5GHz on any of the three CPUs I mentioned above would it be stable, or would I have to go with liquid coolers like Corsair or Coolermaster?

Thanks.

Last edited:
i7 4770K would be the best of the bunch, the overclocking heat will determine how good of a cooling solution you need. Every CPU is different as to the voltage it will need to overclock. 4.0 GHz on air should be easy enough, but depending on the CPU you end up with 4.5 GHz might be a struggle on air.

Since you're planning on the GTX800, ask when it comes out.

There should be new AMD CPUs by that time, as well as new AMD GPUs.

Since you're planning on the GTX800, ask when it comes out.

There should be new AMD CPUs by that time, as well as new AMD GPUs.

I was thinking too about waiting for new CPUs, but since I said I was kinda edging towards Intel (by going with the new 4th gen) I was thinking of buying a new CPU, Mobo, RAM, and PSU in a few months and then wait for the new Nvidia GTX 800 series.

The Intel core will still be more powerful than the AMD module in the next AMD generation. It's not like AMD is going to come out with something to crush Intel one generation from now. In "performance per core", AMD is significantly behind Intel.

Alright, I decided I will go with the i7 4770K. Thanks for the info guys!

Back