• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 build what do you guys think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well here's some more pics. Its just about done. Just got to get the drives out of my current PC and get them in it. I tried to hide all the cables I could I think I should be good to go. Doesn't look like there is anything that will restrict airflow.

HPIM0450_zpsdd5c9b2b.jpg

HPIM0451_zpsde6b8340.jpg

HPIM0452_zpsde6b40d0.jpg

HPIM0453_zpsdc0dab7a.jpg

I was thinking about painting it. Just wish I would of did that first now lol. Did you ever settle on what your getting for your water cooling loop? I'm looking into some stuff now. Haven't decided in specific yet. I been looking around for the best deals and trying to figure out what other people with a similar setup as mine are using and what works the best.

I was thinking about getting maybe a 240 for the top for CPU and then using them mounts they have for mounting a rad on the back for a 360 for GPU's. Another option would be to use the hard drive cage that goes beneath the optical storage cage. Remove the little 2.5" cage and cut out the cage I am using. Which would make the bottom of the case free for a rad there. I believe you could fit a 240 there.

Hmm not sure yet. I am looking into that as we speak. I'm trying to figure out how much heat for the GPU's then the CPU. I haven't looked into how much heat they would create. I was trying to get the actual build out of the way then I was doing some research while building and had to step away and order the 12" 4 pin molex extension cable and some y cables for the fans. Plus I wanted to make sure my cable management was as good as I could get it so I could have better cooling. As for the fans I believe you said to set all as intake except for the 120 in the rear right? So I would have the 120 rear and PSU as exhausts? Not I'm trying to figure out how to quiet this noisy stock i7 3770k fan as well.

According to what Knufire posted earlier in this thread this would be my heat.
GPU: 230W stock + 20% OC = 276W*2= 552W
CPU: 77W stock - iGPU = 65W + OC = 100W

Last edited:
Yup. Set all fans except rear and PSU as intake. About your stock cooler...it looks like (in the pics) that the blue wire is catching on the fan blades a little bit. You should check that out...might solve that problem. If not, you can try to use some hobby oil for trains and put a couple of drops in the fan.

Refresh I added to my old post about how many watts of heat. Also I thought the wire was hitting too but its not. I readjusted it but you can still hear the fan winding up. Would I put the oil in the little hole circled in the pic below? I never oiled a fan before.

Attachments

• CPU_FAN.jpg
    CPU_FAN.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
No. I think it's the center if I'm not mistaked. But I was talking about placing the oil where the circle is (in the pic below).

Attachments

• intel_wolfdale_hsf.jpg
    intel_wolfdale_hsf.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 42
Yeah I think your right it is the center. The center one though is closed. I saw some videos of people applying oil to their fans where the back is closed off like mine. They used a little drill bit and turned it by hand. Then, sucked out the plastic shavings and applied oil. I am going to put the sides of the case on and see how loud it is. If it is really annoying I will try the above, or applying oil from the side like in your pic.

Also, I wonder if the above wattage/heat is correct for the i7 3770k? I tried using the PSU calculator to get a rough idea of the wattage of and i7 3770k overclocked to 5ghz with a max vcore of 1.35 and it said almost 200w though. Seams like the 100w for OC for the i7 3770k that Knufire posted is a little low but I'm not 100% sure.

I got about 130 watts for your overclock. The equation is Watts=TDP*(OC speed/Stock speed)*(OC Vcore/Stock Vcore)^2. So your Watts is 75*(5000/3500)*(1.35/1.25)^2 which equals 128 Watts. Just round it up to 150 and round your GPU Wattage to 550 to make it easier. You'll need about 2 240 Rads or 1 480 Rad to cool your rig down. And I would just do I big loop.

It's probably slightly lower than 130W. But if you're using it to estimate how much radiator you need, overestimation only means that you can cool that amount but quieter. :D

Thanks guys I appreciate your help. Been doing some reading and got some things figured out now. I will post over in the WC forum for recommendations though before purchasing.

I contacted Sapphire to be sure and for some reason they are claiming that both bridges are needed for the 7970 Dual-X. I'm going to install the OS and everything tomorrow. I haven't been feeling the greatest lately. I think its all this dang cold weather up here in PA been making me want to hibernate lol.

Yeah. Same here in MI. One day it's in the 60s the next below zero and snowing. Lol. Anywhozzle, hope you feel better.

BTW...do you play BO2 or BF3? If so, what's your steam and/or origin username.

Back