• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7 2600K high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DVPeer

After using my PC for more than a year my idle CPU temps have gone from 34 C to 45 C. Since this is my first build i'm worried that I did something wrong. I also get very different readings from a program like Realtemp or Core temp than from ASUS AI suite II that came with my motherboard.

Intel i7 2600K 3.60 ghz
Stock Cooler(I know)
realtemp/prime95 CPU cool down test attached

Attachments

• Knipsel.PNG
    Knipsel.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 93
What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore (Core Voltage) both at idle and while running Prime? And the temp. differences are the result of Ai Suite reading Tcase / CPU Temp ( case temp. measured by a thermal diode located within the CPU die between the cores), and Real Temp or Core Temp reading Tjunction (core temp's read by digital thermal sensors located within each core).

have you opened the case to CLEAN the fans, CLEAN the dust out, CLEAN the heatsink off?? what about your thermal paste? was it the stock crap that came with the intel chip/cooler?

also, hwmonitor gives low and high settings for heat and volts... nice feature. a screeny of cpuz CPU tab while under load would be nice too.

What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore (Core Voltage) both at idle and while running Prime? And the temp. differences are the result of Ai Suite reading Tcase / CPU Temp ( case temp. measured by a thermal diode located within the CPU die between the cores), and Real Temp or Core Temp reading Tjunction (core temp's read by digital thermal sensors located within each core).

Thanks, the idle Vcore stays around 1 V but when running Prime it goes up to 1.216 max. After a while the core speed decreases and the voltage changes very quickly.

Attachments

• idle.PNG
    idle.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Knip.PNG
    Knip.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 69
have you opened the case to CLEAN the fans, CLEAN the dust out, CLEAN the heatsink off?? what about your thermal paste? was it the stock crap that came with the intel chip/cooler?

also, hwmonitor gives low and high settings for heat and volts... nice feature. a screeny of cpuz CPU tab while under load would be nice too.

I have not (yet) done those things, should I replace my cooler or just the thermal paste (it was pre-applied)?

I think the first thing I would do is what dtrunk suggested, and that is remounting the HSF, removing the stock TIM / thermal pad, and replacing it w/ a high quality paste.

I think the first thing I would do is what dtrunk suggested, and that is remounting the HSF, removing the stock TIM / thermal pad, and replacing it w/ a high quality paste.

I will try that as soon as possible, do you think Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo and Cooler Master IC Essential E2 (artic silver 5 is 3 times more expensive in my country) would be a good choice?

Cooler Master IC Essential E2
if that is what you can get your hands on then use it, just don't put too much on usually less then a pea more then a bb dot in the middle then let the heatsink pressure spread it. Make sure you clean the surfaces with alcohol and a coffee filter first.

As everyone suggests:

Look into your case, clean it. REALLY clean it, I mean, go as far as manufacturing your own attachment for a house vacuum cleaner to get it all out if you have to (obvious exaggeration, but you get the idea).

HT cores will heat up more than standard quad cores. That said, take your heatsink off, clean both the chip and the contact surface for the heatsink and replace the paste.
What paste you get does not matter. There were tests done with TOOTHPASTE, and it worked well for all of 30 minutes.
Any paste will do as long as there is paste. But it won't hurt you to get a decent branded paste. Just google it and you will come up with some review round-up which will tell you what to get.

Check the fan speeds? Your vcore looks fine, I have my 2500k running closer to 1.48v and it's not half as hot as your 2600, so even factoring in HT, that isn't the problem (surely not?).

As for a Cooler Master 212 EVO... that's what I use. It worked great with even one stock fan. Now I replaced that with 2 high speed AP-30'ties and get in the region of 20 degrees idle, or less. It's great value for money imho.

Back