• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7 3770K Motherboard Recommendation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Been out of the loop for a long time and am building a new computer for a friend. Told her about the 219.00 3770 at MicroCenter so she has decided to build one now instead of Q2 2013. She owns a bar that has recently started videoing the live shows and the office guy plays Star Wars The Old Republic and several other games probably a minimum of 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

She is going to be rendering the video from the live shows on the new machine so I want 16gigs of ram. Looking at the Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz (PC3-12800) 240-Pin Dual Channel Kits Memory, 9-9-9-24, P/N: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9.

Looking for a high quailty ATX motherboard in the 150 to 200 dollar range that can take advantage of the whistles and bells that come along with the 3770, especially anything that would help rendering video and does not have a problem with running ram in all 4 DIMM's. I like Asus boards but the two I have looked at have reviews where only 2 DIMM's work for a lot of people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard is a vary good board and it will do all the things you want to do, also it will overclock your CPU vary well.:cool::popcorn:

Any board you choose should be capable of running four sticks of ram. Just make sure that you purchase a matched 4 stick set not try to mix and match two sets of two sticks each. Thats generally where four stick memory problems show up on these chipsets. Which it looks like already planning to get a matched 4 stick set. As long as you do that you shouldn't have problems with the memory support.

Whew...Thought this build was going to fall through...MicroCenter was out of the 3770k all week but I was able to get one Saturday.

I really like the ASRock Z77 Extreme6. For the money on paper it looks hard to beat. I used Abit for years but ditched them in favor of Asus when I felt Abit's quality took a nose dive...IMHO of course.

Do you guys think the AsRock Z77 will be reliable for years to come? I built her last box 5 years ago with a Asus P5Q Pro and it has been rock solid.

Just want you guys opinion on build quality compared to Asus and if you think the AsRock will hold up to being thrased gaming at least 12 hours a day.

NewEgg has G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM for 109.00 dollars leaving me with about 250.00 for the video card.

Thank you for the reply's...Glad some of the reviews I read scared me away from the 150 to 200 dollar price range Asus boards saying DIMM's died on the board and all kinds of memory slot issues.

Thanks again for your suggestion and feedback.

I'll vouch for the asrock extreme4. A little bit back it had no problem throwing 1.7V at my processor for benching on air. It should hold up just fine for gaming :p

Just ordered the AsRock Z77 Extreme4. I did not know that AsRock is part of the parent company who own Asus. Read the reviews and everybody raves about the board.

So thank you for the advice and recommendation. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving !!!!!

I honestly hated the extreme 4. The board was so unstable but other than that it was an ok board. If I had to recommend anything then you should go ahead and try the gigabyte z77 ud3h board. That's currently the board i have right now and it has never crashed on me unlike the extreme 4 did.

I haven't had any real issues (other than not being able to go over 1.7V for vcore which will not apply to you) with my extreme4. Do you know what bios you were on kohit7?

I haven't had any real issues (other than not being able to go over 1.7V for vcore which will not apply to you) with my extreme4. Do you know what bios you were on kohit7?

I had this problem a while back so I don't remember the details; i just remember that i was pissed off at it

Let's back up here for a minute. She owns a bar and pays an office guy to play STOR for 10 hours/day, 7 days/week. Can I bid on this gig?

Let's back up here for a minute. She owns a bar and pays an office guy to play STOR for 10 hours/day, 7 days/week. Can I bid on this gig?

lol right I want that job for sure.

If it wanst for you wanting Z77 chipset I'd of said without a doubt Gigabyte Z68X-UD4 (or 5/7) my UD4 has been rock solid for well over a year I've hit 5.3GHz on it ON AIR course thats cpu as well good ole 2600K

Well he has it pretty rough. He does have to work 2 hours on Monday and a whopping 3 or 4 hours on Friday doing liquor inventory and payroll. Drinks free, eats free. Insurance, gas and easy-tag paid for. Plus 28k a year.

Come to think of it not a bad gig. But I could not do it.

Back