• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Optane Memory: Plug & Play?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyLakeBlue

I just bought a 32 GB Intel Optane Memory and I plan to install it tonight on a Asus z370 mobo.

My build is hardline petg liquid cooled and it's lot of work to disassemble but I did notice an M.2 slot just right above my GPU (GPU installed on the 1st PCI-e) which I can easily access and just plug the optane memory on there. As pictured below:

ug8le8v.jpg

Can I just do that instead of the one located below the chipset (This board has an M.2 shield labeled) according to Intel.

Also Intel's tutorial on Optane memory set up is complicated & confusing! Can anyone please provide a much more simple step by step process? Thank you in advance!

So I installed it and I get this error message:

OwM86NL.png

I assume it doesn't support my Boot Drive where my OS/Windows 10 is installed:

o0ghmGo.jpg

I even have 2 x M.2 slots for it because my boot drive is mounted on PCIe slot! I feel like I just wasted my money if this is not compatible.

I thought I could use the new memory once I upgraded to 8700K with Z370 Chipset. I didn't expect that another hidden compatibility issue is that it seems to only support SATA SSD / HDD.

Also, I had to uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology because apparently both that and Optane Memory Software cannot be installed together...great.

Your samsung drive is generally faster than the Optane. Caching fast SSD drives has no point. Other thing is that not all drives are supported as you noticed. On the other hand if you have any game below ~30GB which you are playing often then you can install it on Optane drive. If it's something that often uses drive to save any data then is a chance it will run faster than on the Samsung.
The only thing in what Optane is faster than Samsung 950 Pro are random transfers in low queue operations ... so what most home/office programs are using, including games.

this is the only thing I foud regardin Optane on your board, I think that both M.2 are supporting Optane
"*4 Intel® Optane Technology only supported when using 8th Generation Intel® Processors. Before using Intel® Optane memory modules, ensure that you have updated your motherboard drivers and BIOS to the latest version from ASUS support website."

The requirements are complicated and I don't understand them either to be honest... Optane is fastest at low QD random, but the Samsung is no slouch either and probably exceeds it in sequential. If you got it anyway, run it as a normal SSD (even if small) and put anything you think might be more random seek limited than sequential limited on it. I got the 280GB version and in practical use I can't feel the difference between that and my older Samsung SM951.

Im agreeing with others here. How did you plan to utilize the Optane memory in your system architecture? If its for NVMe off loading from RAM/CPU that's ok, because that is what it is designed to do. Anything else would be a waste.

Yea, just return the small Optane. There is no point using it if you got 950 PRO, but it should definitely work under Z270/Z370.

I got Optane 900P on Z370 Maximus X Apex and it's absolutely ridiculous (in a good way) :) Talking 360MB/s 4K@QD1T1. If you want upgrade from 950 PRO than this would be the only option imho.

Back