• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel p4m vs p4 Willamette

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goofee691

Registered
hi i have 2 socket 478 cpu's, 3 actually but one is just a slower Willamette(1.5Ghz)

the mobile P4 shows up as a northwood in cpuz and is a 2Ghz cpu but will only run at 1.2Ghz due to speedstep(is their any way to disable speedstep on the cpu to have it run at full speed)
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6FK

i also have a 1.8Ghz Willamette
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL5UK

the motherboard i have has ddr226 ram and is a oem motherboard, disabling me from changing chipset and cpu settings

my question is witch cpu should i use since i know that the Willamette cpu's have been beaten by P3's

i also have a P3 667mhz with pc133 ram if that would be any better

i plan to use the computer mainllyfor a weather station logger and file server but also plan to do some small gaming on it if it has the power(it will have a geforce fx5950ultra) it will also probbly run as a web server.

Uh.. the northwood would be better.. but you need to check the boards specs to make sure it can handle that.. and speed step is enabled by the board, if you put it on a board that doesnt support it then it wont run the speed step. the 1.8 CPU will kill the 600 Pentium 3.

no the board does not support speedstep and i have tried to put a load on the cpu with prime 95 but it still shwos the cpu running at 1.2Ghz, how does this compete with the 1.8?

also since this computer will be running 24/7 what way would i save the most power(im guessing the no-brainer at the mobile cpu)

i figured the P3 667 was a joke but i am able to give it 1.75GB of ram as for the P4 i only have 256MB atm but am thinking of getting some more ram

Back