• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Skylake i7 6700K CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been doing mental gymnastics trying to convince myself to upgrade since i've got the bug right now but i can't seem to find a good reason to go from a 3570k to a 6700k. Please let me know if there's something i haven't thought of.

1. gaming performance identical
2. hyperthreading does nothing for games
3. nothing i do requires more than 8gb of ram
4. overlocking is (almost)no better
5. don't care about the gains in efficiency
6. video card not bottle necked at all
7. no need for more usb 3.0
8.????

I like putting together a new rig once in awhile but i got nothin. What did I miss?

Last edited:
Where the hell do you find these? The two other parts for my build are available but not the CPUs? I can find 6600ks but no 6700k?

Maximus VIII Hero, DDR4 Dominators, but no Skylake?

Haven't seen them anywhere in the states. Microcenter just listed the i5-6600k last week.

I thought I read on another thread that there was a national or global shortage. ???

As I mentioned some time ago , they're available since the premiere in all Europe and some other near countries, also eastern Asia. The only real shortage is in US and countries where are always problems. I could buy 6700K 1 day before premiere from local store which gets them from local distributor ... but I got 6600K as it's much cheaper and I don't care about HT as I also have 5820K for everything that requires more threads.

I read a rumor somewhere that one of the big OEM's bought a million i7's and thats why theres a NA shortage right now. Any truth?

Never heard that one before...

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I read on another thread that there was a national or global shortage. ???
There are none available in the states, but as woomack has mentioned, there are some in EU it seems. Ive been waiting to get my hands on these for weeks now. The only sites that have them say early-mid september now...

There are 6700k that come available on Newegg but they are only bundling them with higher end motherboards ($300+ it seems). They had a bundle last Friday for the Asus Z170-Deluxe ($320) w/ a 6700k. Limited quantities though.

My supplier says early Sept we will see stock moving in.
I guess AMD isn't alone on failed launches.
Although We would likely be much harder on AMD if it was their launch.

I said that already couple of times ... when I ordered my 6600K ( I got it 1 day after premiere ), then at least 5 online stores in Poland had 20+ 6700K and 20+ 6600K on stock. Local sub-distributor had 6700K marked as "super product" 1 day after premiere and it's usually automatically marked as one when they sell higher amount of products.

examples with 6700k on stock in Poland
http://www.morele.net/procesor-inte...2ghz-95w-cache-8mb-box-bx80662i76700k-707265/
http://proline.pl/?p=BX80662I76700K
http://www.komputronik.pl/product/277133/Elektronika/Części_PC/Intel_Core_i7_6700K.html
here they sold most of the 6700k but still 2 on stock

Amazon UK ( generally the same as France or Germany )
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX806...ie=UTF8&qid=1440613975&sr=8-21&keywords=6700k

You could see news maybe ~1.5 months ago that Intel was planning to release only limited amount of 6600k and 6700k just after premiere. Bigger shipment is planned for late September or something near. I don't remember when I saw these news.
Considering that they were planning limited availability of Skylake then they could limit it to only some continents/countries because of logistics and marketing.

I don't know the logistics of product shipping at Intel, but I do know the cause of why there is a shortage. I'm not sure if Intel has come out and said it, but the news can't be hidden for that long. Skylake was pretty bumpy during the ES testing from what I heard. A lot of rumors point to die yield issues in several domains.

But it is (clearly) not global from what was said earlier in the thread by Woomack, and current EU availability. It just makes no sense to me, an IT guy, why they wouldn't put some in larger markets first...

Market demand is different per each region. How many were shipped to each market is unknown. How many were made is unknown.

I'm just sharing what I have heard.

Back