• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel system recommendations needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timzak

I'm doing some research for my brother, who's interested in an Intel 3Ghz system. He is not interested in overclocking, so do not factor that into your responses. He's actually going to get a cpu, mobo, ram, and P/S. He's going to transfer everything else over from his current rig. I have a few questions:

1) Why is the 1MB cache 3.0Ghz P4 slightly cheaper than the 512k cache version? Is it a no-brainer to just get the 1MB cache version or is there more to the story? Which 3Ghz P4 do you recommend?

2) What mobo? I've been looking at the Asus P4P800 Deluxe. Good choice? I read that it's AGP slot is 1.5V only. Is this compatible with his current video card (GeForce4 TI4400).

3) RAM: is 512MB enough for WinXP? He doesn't play a lot of computer games. Since he's not overclocking, would generic PC3200 ram suffice?

I would appreciate as much input/advice as possible. He just wants a simple, inexpensive upgrade that will keep him happy for a long time. He's been running a P3 1Ghz for the past couple of years.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

1) The 512k cache 3.0C is a Northwood and the 1m cache 3.0E is a Prescott. The Prescotts are fairly new and Intel is still working out the bugs. Prescotts also run hotter. At stock speeds, the Northwood will beat a Prescott in most benchmarks. I would recommend a 512k 3.0C because they run cooler and will have more performance at stock speeds in most apps.

2) The Asus mobo you listed is very good. Any 4X or 8X vid card will work, so his Ti 4400 is definitely compatible.

3) Yes, 512 MB of RAM would work just fine. Remember though, you will want two sticks of RAM to take advantage of dual channel DDR which that mobo supports. Any PC3200 RAM will be suffice if no overclocking is expected.

Back