• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to Launch Energy Efficient Core 2 Quads on January 18th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember seeing this a while ago. I wonder if they're a new stepping or just E0s binned for lower rated power? I'd be willing to bet a fair number of the quads already get close to that TDP and they are just making it official and binning them out.

would lower TDP mean lower VID? therefore being able to oc higher? cos then i might consider one of these over a new c2d.

the new Q9550S sounds intresting - it should bring better OC abilities ...
and Im waiting to see them when they come out !

would lower TDP mean lower VID? therefore being able to oc higher? cos then i might consider one of these over a new c2d.

the new Q9550S sounds intresting - it should bring better OC abilities ...
and Im waiting to see them when they come out !

It may or may not be different from everyday E0s. They may just be binned for lower TDP which in theory means regular q9550s could be the same if the latter is just marked regular to fill demand but if they are binned now the chances are lower. Also TDP is a max dissipation design spec for system design, it doesn't really mean the CPU draws that much wattage. So over time CPUs can slowly drift down (or up) in average power draw across a large sample of CPUs and if there's a large enough number of lower power draw CPUs Intel can lower the TDP. As for oc'ing they may or may not be better, it could just be that these are the best possible samples able to run at stock speed with less voltage but once overclocked they could take the same voltage as other E0s, AMDs low-power CPUs are kind of like that. If they are a new stepping with improvements then all bets are off, it could be like C1-E0.

However if it's a new stepping or otherwise revised somehow it would likely be superior.

im actually surprised there is any socket 775 stuff being developed. i figured with i7 released 775 would be phased out soon enough.

not everyone whats to upgrade to the newer socket so why not make more money with 775.

im actually surprised there is any socket 775 stuff being developed. i figured with i7 released 775 would be phased out soon enough.

Core 2 is still the main effort Intel is focusing on.
Not until Core i5 will the shift begin

exactly i7 is for high end / enthusiast, Quad line is still going strong for most people, once i5 comes out, may be another story, think of how many people have large server farms and didnt want to toss in q6600 due to heat and power consumption... why not get ride of some inventory.

LGA775 will be the mainstream Intel socket until at least early Q4 2009. At that time s1160 Lynnfield CPUs and P55 chipset will be launched and will probably cover at least down to 'mainstream' marketing level, s775 might still cover lower than that. There is supposed to be the dual core Havendale with a GPU die on the socket as well which will mean no need for integrated graphics chipsets per se although I'm sure those will still live on *shudder* (Intel's integrated graphics kind of suck)

It's a bit of a shame really because it was nice that Intel had one socket (LGA775) to cover everything from the lowest to highest but once LGA1160 is out LGA1336 will be mainly for ultra high-end and server applications.

sounds like there is a ton of directions they are moving in at once hopefully quality does not suffer in the process.

Intel is so far ahead at the front end they'll be focusing on chipsets and power saving more and more until AMD catches up a bit.

The P55 chipset is going to be awesome. Two chips for NB + SB + CPU/IMC + GPU ftw.

Back