• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to release 8-Core Xeon processor!! =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Wow this sounds pretty cool. I didn't think they were that close already. Here is the linky:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Xeon-Eight-Core-i7,6931.html

So since Xeon processors are usually designed to go into a motherboard that fits 2 processors, does that mean you can build a PC with a total of 16 cores?

Oooh add that spiffy new 4GB DDR3 Ram that Samsung makes, (for a total of 32GB!!) and you will have the best Folding@Home rig ever created! WOOT!

They keep bragging about 16 threads per chip... I am guessing that is a huge improvement?

Is this correct?
Old Pentium: 1 thread
Pentium 4 with Hyper Thread: 2 threads
Core 2 Duo: 4 threads
Core 2 Quad: 8 threads
8-Core Xeon: 16 threads

Or does it only start to double once it hits the Dual chip motherboard first? I don't know if HT is considered a second thread. I'm not even sure if I still like fish sticks after the age of 8?

Moreso,

Core 2 Duo: 2 threads
Core 2 Quad: 4 threads
Core i7: 8 threads

All this thread and not a shirt to speak of >.>

Intel needs to chill back on the Hardware advancements that don't mean anything with the software at a virtual standstill. Meh, I guess they are figuring it'll net more cash, and they're probably right, just look at all the i7 rigs that popped up. 5% performance increase for 300% of the cash :rolleyes:

To me, this is just pointless playing in a sandbox.

All this thread and not a shirt to speak of >.>

Intel needs to chill back on the Hardware advancements that don't mean anything with the software at a virtual standstill. Meh, I guess they are figuring it'll net more cash, and they're probably right, just look at all the i7 rigs that popped up. 5% performance increase for 300% of the cash :rolleyes:

To me, this is just pointless playing in a sandbox.

ditto. hardware potential is nice, but if you net no gain from it, whats the point?

my current rig can run anything and everything out there with 30+ fps at max settings. thats all I need!

wow ... that thing will probably be able to handle anything you throw at it for a very very long time. Might make all the talk by some people about cpu lifespan actually relevant

no such thing as future proofing.

Is this a nehalem-EP cpu then?

and you forget that you would still need a lot of videocards to boost the speed of the FAH machine. :santa:

Not hardly. Itll be outdated in 5 years, hardly a cpu lifespan.

lmfao, it would probably be relegated to HTPC status 2 years after I buy one when a new chip comes out that I just have to get my hands on

Last edited:
no such thing as future proofing.

Is this a nehalem-EP cpu then?

and you forget that you would still need a lot of videocards to boost the speed of the FAH machine. :santa:

The article said it was.

Alot of cards? Hell, you could fold a few instances on a few cards and have left over CPU power to run tons more off the CPU the old school way and who knows what else.

I am thinking a killer encoding machine. That's the one thing I regret about getting rid of my desktop. Sixteen threads? Let's see full length HD encoding on an hour! Of course we would need these in a consumer chipset first.

Neha is 20-35% faster than shanghai in the benches Anantech made give them twice the cores and thrice the cache and those numbers will be really interesting, only the pricing is is more important.

I would say the performance increase in gaming will be minimal, but for people that do CAD with solidworks or somthing simular, being able to run more than a couple instances can be benificial to production...

i would rather have one box able to handle 16 threads vs needing 4 boxes to handle the same amount. that frees up space to add another box for another 16 or even 32 threads if needed. saying that if you hosting sites and each site is one thread, thats 16 sites per box being hosted. just cause it doesnt make sense to you the hardcore gamer doesnt mean it doesnt make sense to/for someone else to use.

Eight cores might be a viable option when I re-do my system for Sandy Bridge, but until then I see no gaming advantage.

Back