• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to release 8-Core Xeon processor!! =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Keep in mind that the extra threads from hyperthreading don't add nearly the same performance as extra cores do.

My testing on a prescott showed that hyperthreading sped well balanced multi-core things up by about 30%, the same testing on my c2d shows that the second core doubles the power.
On some loads hyperthreading actually makes things run slower, it's not always a good thing. Usually it is though.

So keep that in mind, despite having 16 threads it crunches numbers at the rate an 11 thread chip would if the numbers play nicely with eachother.

That was then and this is now, the neha architecture was designed with HT in mind it is significantly wider than P4 was. According to the results I read HT means over 50% performance in the server encironment add the higher IPC of Neha those threads nearly worth the cores of older arches.

The beauty of this processor is that you can put it into a 2U environment and get equal performance to about 40 racks of single core configurations. (You think this an exageration, you'd be wrong).

While saving orders of magnitude on electricity costs.

Only downside is that you have to pay a huge amount on the front end for new software that can properly use those threads correctly. They have it, it just costs a lot from companies like IBM.

OR

You can enter the hybrid computing environment and bring up Nvidia GPU Tesla clusters in tandum with your XEON Nehalem clusters.

The beauty of this processor is that you can put it into a 2U environment and get equal performance to about 40 racks of single core configurations. (You think this an exageration, you'd be wrong).

While saving orders of magnitude on electricity costs.

Only downside is that you have to pay a huge amount on the front end for new software that can properly use those threads correctly. They have it, it just costs a lot from companies like IBM.

OR

You can enter the hybrid computing environment and bring up Nvidia GPU Tesla clusters in tandum with your XEON Nehalem clusters.

Or make the move to virtual machines and be able to run 16 'servers' on one box instead of having 16 or even 8 seperate units. An application doesn't have to take full advantage of 16 individual cores just to make having one single box be more beneficial thanks to virtualization.

I would love to have one of these to fold with though :)

50% gain isn't that much above 30%, and is still far below 100% gain.

yeah but it is definately better than the 0% gain of not having it at all.

And as Evilsizer pointed out, in the home market there is little use now for this, but this is not a consumer chip, it is a server/workstation chip which will go into a computer that has software and usage desinged for multiple cores/threads.

I've been inside hubsites and head-ends that need Air Conditioning equipment the size of an Apartment BUILDING to cool them down because of all the servers. Saving space will also save on electricity and heating costs, not to mention the noise from all those fans droning on and on... Hopefully we will all be alive in the next 5 years to see it.

All this thread and not a shirt to speak of >.>

Intel needs to chill back on the Hardware advancements that don't mean anything with the software at a virtual standstill. Meh, I guess they are figuring it'll net more cash, and they're probably right, just look at all the i7 rigs that popped up. 5% performance increase for 300% of the cash :rolleyes:

To me, this is just pointless playing in a sandbox.

8 cores will get abused in any buisness environment, in servers, gfx work, serious audio work, 8 cores is needed in many area's.

i just ordered a dual quad core AMD rig for a MySQL DB :)

ditto. hardware potential is nice, but if you net no gain from it, whats the point?

my current rig can run anything and everything out there with 30+ fps at max settings. thats all I need!

Okay people, maybe some dont get it

Xeon's arent for gaming!
Xeon's arent for your everyday desktop system!

Xeons are for the buisness sector, server, workstations, intel doesnt give 2 jacks how it performs in gaming, it cares about how it performance in environments that run database, cad, VM, and such.

Even though I would not have a need for 8 cores it still won't stop me from buying one! :drool: looking forward to the release as well.

I just got our dual quad core AMD 2378 server in, too bad the CPU's even in retail boxes dont come with heat sinks, WTF! is that now i got to wait to next week to get heatsinks in!!!!

No one here has mentioned that the top end 8-core Xeons have 4 Quickpaths per CPU. No other processor ever made has the amount of intra-processor bandwidth that these CPU's have.

8socket.jpg

Skynet used Intel CPU's, true story.

Back