• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel's revenue up 20%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

From the USA Today:

" A worldwide boost in technology spending drove Intel's first-quarter sales to their highest ever, the No. 1 chip-maker said tuesday. Intel's revenue was 8.1 billion, up from 20% from a year ago......

......That boost-plus more efficient manufacturing-helped Intel post net income of 1.7 billion, or 26 cents per share. Thats nearly double the 915 million or 14 cents a share, Intel earned a year ago....

...Intel has had internal problems, it struggles to produce enough of one kind PC chip (*hmmm.....maybe the celeron?:rolleyes: *). It raised prices for memorychips too high, losing market share. And it had to hastily copy rival Advanced Micro Devices when it scored a hit with a new chip. Thats unusual for Intel, which dominates the PC-chip industry with around 80% market share"

It also said that Apple and IBM will report earnings later this week, I wonder when AMD will?

I HATE earnings reporting times. It's like watching Seattle play baseball. Uggh.

Thankfully, the PR number system adapted by AMD seems to be working, and AMD is trying (somewhat successfully) to educate people in the hows and whys of how their CPUs work, and why they can run at a lower clock but still keep up with Intel.

And I would say that the Socket 478 Celeron (why?) is Intel's most wanted chip. Also: P4 Extreme Edition == P4 Emergency Edition :)

Captain Newbie said:
I HATE earnings reporting times. It's like watching Seattle play baseball. Uggh.

Thankfully, the PR number system adapted by AMD seems to be working, and AMD is trying (somewhat successfully) to educate people in the hows and whys of how their CPUs work, and why they can run at a lower clock but still keep up with Intel.

And I would say that the Socket 478 Celeron (why?) is Intel's most wanted chip. Also: P4 Extreme Edition == P4 Emergency Edition :)

As far as earnings are concerned I don't think the old PR system has much to do with it. I think for the first time AMD has a decent marketing tool in 64 bit and is selling chips at a price that will actually turn a profit (largely due to the 64 bit marketing).

Average people don't know jack, but they can relate to 64 bit like they can relate to Mhz.

AMD is finally figuring out how the game works and you would think they will be in a better position this year then last.

naw... still the same old if the number(any number) is bigger then the computer has to be better.

Captain Newbie said:
^^^ I got excited...maybe people were learning what pipelines and decoders did :(
lol not a chance, but anyway I think the pr system is helping out cause i have an amd because of it, I got a palomino 1800+ because I though it would run ant 1.8ghz and until last september I was going all over the place to get it to 1.8 but thankfully I found this site and I found out about the pr system and the ppipelines and all that.

Thanks for getting me out of the dark ages of knowledge.lol

AMD are posting their results today - Intel's share price was adversely affected by these results because whilst revenues and profits met analysts expectations, future revenues are not anticipated to reach analysts expectations for the next quarter.

thats correct oc detective. Amd did very well with revenues and profits beating anylyst expectations. They earned a profit of .12 a share which is exceptional considering last year they lost .47 a share in the same quarter. Revenues where also stellar reaching 1.26 billion which is a 50% increase over the previous years quater. This is attributable to 2 things, one being an improved economy as a whole, remember last years first quater was dismal for the economy, and no 2 amd's improved product line, as well as profitibalility from there flash memory unit.
If ya want any more info shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
snvpa said:
thats correct oc detective. Amd did very well with revenues and profits beating anylyst expectations. They earned a profit of .12 a share which is exceptional considering last year they lost .47 a share in the same quarter. Revenues where also stellar reaching 1.26 billion which is a 50% increase over the previous years quater. This is attributable to 2 things, one being an improved economy as a whole, remember last years first quater was dismal for the economy, and no 2 amd's improved product line, as well as profitibalility from there flash memory unit.
If ya want any more info shoot me a pm.

AMD doesn't even make money off of their micro processors. It's Fasl/Spansion flash memory department is keeping it afloat. They release a new product every 2 days.

Shishio said:

AMD doesn't even make money off of their micro processors. It's Fasl/Spansion flash memory department is keeping it afloat. They release a new product every 2 days.

Nice try, but AMD's memory division was actually losing money lately(until this quarter) due to expansion efforts and posted an income of $14 million this last quarter(which is pretty good for flash memory).

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=325

Let's do the math now, $45 million - $14 million = $31 million profit off of microprocessors. That also means that the $43 million profit AMD pulled in last quarter(4q 03) was all from microprocessor sales even with the memory division operating at a $3 million loss. With AthlonXP sales to stay on predictions or even go up a little and Hammer sales predicted to increase significantly by the end of the year, I'd say AMD's financials are looking pretty good to me, especially with 90nm technology looking right on target(which will reduce productions costs significantly as well as give AMD better ramping abilities). At the least AMD has bought itself another few years of life.

Shishio said:

I wish people would check their facts before coming out with such unsubstantiated claims.
The flash memory division produced profits of 14 million for the quarter
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040415/95/er3pf.html
The cpu division generated operating income of 67 million for the quarter up from 63 million the previous quarter so where do you come up with the idea it is loss making?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~84387,00.html

OC Detective said:

I wish people would check their facts before coming out with such unsubstantiated claims.
The flash memory division produced profits of 14 million for the quarter
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040415/95/er3pf.html
The cpu division generated operating income of 67 million for the quarter up from 63 million the previous quarter so where do you come up with the idea it is loss making?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~84387,00.html

Some where in the sources something is off, because 63 mil + 14 mil does not = 45 mil.

Never-the-less, its nice that they are making money now. Hopefully they can get out of debt.

To put a hurting on AMD, Intel should have enabled the 64 bit in Prescott and put out a modified 64 bit Northwood to hamper AMD's 64 bit marketing, which IMO is responsible for much of AMD's prosperity.

I mean, they could have put out a great chip (A64) and marketed it with 3DNow+ and I doubt Joe Blow would give it a second look vs the A64 w/ 64 bit that Joe Blow perceives to be a big deal. The average consumer can relate to bits as game consoles and CPUs have often used bits as a powerful marketing tool.

Very well done IMO.

One thing I wonder, though, is if Intel can make the P4 EE that performs as well as the A64s and FXs, why don't they sell EE chips instead of standard Northwoods or Prescotts? I know they want an expensive high end chip, but surely they could do something else to distinguish a high end chip, even if it is just marketing and doesn't perform much better (just like the FX line). Why not do that and have a product line that compares more favorably with the A64 line?

OC Noob said:

Some where in the sources something is off, because 63 mil + 14 mil does not = 45 mil.
Thats because the individual units may not include things such as exceptions items like special charges which are subtracted from this. The Intergraph costs could be an example of this. Could also possibly be that the connectivity solutions division is separate from the other 2 - or something else, because the revenues from the memory and cpg divisions do not add up to the total revenue stated (1.200 for two divisions v 1.236 billion stated).
Edit have read the SEC filing for last year it would seem that there is a 3rd "others" division including connectivity solutions and it would seem to be that this is making a loss hence the anomaly.

Last edited:
Back