• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

interactive waterblock comparator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenman100 said:
so I was about right?

less i think -
at 1gpm pHaestus has the (dtek)WW as 2C better than the innovatec rev3, which billA has matching the TC-4 (at 1gpm).

looks like the WW gains a bit more with better flow, and the resistance of the TC-4 is very close to the WW, so i reckon 2-3C better depending on the pump....

I'm sure I could get a TC4 from D-tek if it's of enough interest. I have a Maze3 I will eventually run too just for fun :)

I still have the TC4 I tested, after days of lapping
that was 2 test benches ago, hard to compare without a lot of 'corrections'
better to just test, you want it pH ?
- it is the original version

hello1

i'm definately interested :)

the thing about the tc4 is there isn't a "real" review that compares it to newer blocks under the same parameters. i know that d-tek is offering the blocks at a VERY compettitive price, so i'm sure a lot of people might be considering them, but are just a little afraid to take the *plunge* because they can't find data on the block. i got mine about a year ago and i know i was a bit reluctant.

i bought the tc4 because i'm, well, cheap. i scored the aluminum top for around 15 US new, when an online retailer that will go anonymous was clearing out all there water cooling gear (possibly because it wasn't selling?)

seeing as how i don't have much money invested in the block and upgrade just might be in order if i can shave off a decent amount of degrees. i have a silent 120 mm at around 30 cfm on an original procore and i am not willing to part with silence. recently i upgraded to a mobile barton, and as such have it clocked relatively high, thus i ahve experienced an increase in temps.

i am loading consistently at 50 celcius.

i reworked the flow order of my wc system, which necesited the lengthening of some tubes. i had hoped to gain a couple of degrees by placing the rad right after the pump, as opposed to the waterblock after the pump, but i have seen no difference in temps (~ 1.5 celcius) that can be accredited to the refinement as opposed to error in my crude measurements (read MBM5).

what i want to know is if a block upgrade could bring me down to say 43 - 44 load, them i would seriously consider it, and the only way to know that is to extrapolate it from the data you guys can collect on my current block.

it would be greatly appreciated by myself and i'm sure all current tc4 owners as well as perspective purchasers would be pleased also.

thanks again guys.

:attn:

Im a noob at watercooling, can somebody please explain how exaclt to read this graph, how to know witch block is better?

Ok. Well first off the graphs cant tell you which is 'best' They can only point you in the right direction. This is because they only show parts of the data needed to tell you which is the 'best' block for your given situation.

Basicly the deltaT (on the Y axis) is the temp of the cpu minus the ambiant temp (that of the air entering the radiator). This is done to eliminate the factor of abmiant tempreture in the testing.

As you can see the graph shows this DeltaT temp against Flow rate (that being the flowrate of water through the waterblock). As you can also see the DeltaT veries with flowrate. Its this relationship between the flowrate and deltaT tempreture which is of interest.

A very basic way to explain is the lower the line on the graph the better the waterblock is. (for example the cascade ss is the lowest and therfore gives you lower deltaT and therfore lower temps overall)

As you can see some of the lines cross which means some blocks will be better than others at low flowrates but at higher flow rates the situation may be reversed. A good example of this is the swiftech MCW6000a vs the LR white water. At a lower flowrate the swiftechs line is lower on the graph hence it works better but at a higher flowrate the white waters line is lower and hence the WW is better. This shows that its not a clear cut 'block A is better than block B'

However this graph is not the full story. The big problem is flowrate is in turn effected by the waterblock. Some waterblocks are more restrictive to water flow than others and therefore when used with the same pump some flow less water than others. This adds a whole new dimension to disiding which is best. As and example If waterblock A has a line lower on the graph than waterblock B then at first it looks like A would be better. BUT what at the same time waterblock A was more flow restrictive than waterblock B. This differance could mean that B is attualy better but without hard data we can relly only guesstimate.

At this time procooling cannot provide data on how restrictive each block is but some information on this is avalible at the oc.com front page.

I hope that helps you out a bit (and hope you understand) :)

Just to clarify;

Delta-T on the side of the graph is Cpu temp minus water temp at the block inlet, not ambient temp at the radiator... ie, if your water inlet is at 23 degrees C, and your block has a delta of 10 degrees at the flow rate that your pump gives, your cpu will be 33 degrees.

Ambient temps are not handy for this kind of testing. When you start talking ambient temps, pump temperature comes into play etc and it gets very messy. Using Cpu temp minus water temp is the cleanest way of removing variables.

Nice! This is where being colour blind is really annoying. Is there a difference between the colour of the TDX and RBX line representation?

IDe like to see more noozles tested for the rbx. Not that it matters a terribly large amount since I just bought one but I was going to use #5 when your test only used #1. Ide like to know where it stands and im sure others would like to know in case the RBX matches the others better with different noozles.

JT

PS sorry if the post is seems off in any way. I am suffering from side effects of medication. Insomnia mixed with nausea is a wonderful thing.

Back