• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting... a true 1/2" block from Swiftech!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First, Welcome to the forums!

We know EXACTLY the performance of each block (MCW5002 and WW) from BillA's tests... the WW is .03 C/W better. On a CPU that puts out 100W that would make the WW better by 3C.
Your findings should be the same and if anything, knowing this data will let you find out how accurate or inaccurate your readings are. Make sure to perform MANY mounts of each block, at least 5 and take the average.

Great...now I feel confidant! Throw BA at me... :cry:

Met the man and he IS a genius! You should see his test lab!!!

But I have already implemented some of his suggestions I.E. Mounting a thermal probe 1/2" from the intake fan and getting an inline thermal water temp probe to calc CW's (Now I gotta learn how to do that!)

MANY mountings was stressed but I am always fighting a deadline!

I used to hang out here awhile back but I had a disagreement with the Almighty Munificent Omniscient and Omnipotent SSS and while I wasn't banned I fled in terror...but I am older and stronger now (really I am on some great drugs...Doctors can be SO coool) so I think I can take it.. >whimpers with fear<

:eek:

I was just thinking about Swiftech's blocks and it's actually odd to see that they used a dimpled plate in the MCW462, but later abandoned that design for a pin array. The MCW was not a true impingement design, as far as I can see from the pics at Swiftech's site, but one could easily imagine a block being modified to be one.

I wonder whether they'll be doing some block-internal design changes in that direction...

Bender said:

Is that a dual Xeon? I think Swiftech is about as good as it gets for SMP machines. WW and Cascade are awesome but routing tubing for two blocks would be a big pain. Price is also a consideration especially when you have to buy for twins.

Yes, Dual Xeon (on a IWill DP533-S). Awsome blocks for a awsome board!

Price of the blocks are an issue, but the CPUs and motherboard alone cost well over $1200, so the price of the blocks were dwarf'd by comparison. Then add on a couple gig of RAM, Video, Drives, Case, Monitors, Keyboard, etc.

The system has two loops, one loop is CPUs and Video (based on Swiftech MCW50 with the 1/2" barb adapters), and a BIX 2.

The second loop is aluminum, and thus uses a huge aluminum transmision cooler (made for towing stuff). It cools all the hard drives, and uses 6 (soon to be 9) Koolance drive blocks.

The system has dual 19" Viewsonic P95FB monitors, a big cube case, an Enermax EG851-AX PSU (on a 1500VA UPS), etc. The only thing not Black on the computer is the Calcomp digitizing tablet.

It's a joy to use, but of course, on Air, it was just too noisy to use for audio, and would get way too hot. Water gave me decent temps with a drastic reduction in noise. You can still hear it, but only up close. I used to be able to hear it from the kitchen.

I was contemplating ordering the mcw5002, but I figgured that having two mcw5000's would be better than having mismatched blocks:p I'm also running the Iwill Dp533 (no scsi though, since I already have my own card) and dual 2.4's, although they're 400mhz fsb ;)

Nebby said:
I was contemplating ordering the mcw5002, but I figgured that having two mcw5000's would be better than having mismatched blocks:p I'm also running the Iwill Dp533 (no scsi though, since I already have my own card) and dual 2.4's, although they're 400mhz fsb ;)

Did you try your luck at 533FSB? (i.e. the jumper?).

A setup like this approaches the ultimate;

new asus dual Xenon i875 board

http://www.asus.com/products/server...dl/overview.htm

and a couple of those MCW5002's... sweet!

The i875 doesn't have PCI-X. :( For some of us, the extra bandwidth is everything, and worth every penny more.

But just because I can't use it doesn't mean I'm not glad Asus put out the board. Hopefully, it'll increase demand for Xeons, and thus drop their prices. :)

wormwood said:

Did you try your luck at 533FSB? (i.e. the jumper?).

yup, my current single xeon was capable of 2.8, and that was air cooled. Havn't bothered trying it out now its wc'd and setup, since I havn't had the time to experiment (though experiment I will when the second proc comes :))

The i875 doesn't have PCI-X. :( For some of us, the extra bandwidth is everything, and worth every penny more.

But just because I can't use it doesn't mean I'm not glad Asus put out the board. Hopefully, it'll increase demand for Xeons, and thus drop their prices. :)

amen to that, the ONLY reason I'm not running the oh-so-good DPI533 is the missing pci-x slots :(

wormwood said:

Yes that is true. I should have specified "for desktop/workstation use".
Most true servers would be aircooled anyway, for cost efficiency and because there is no overclocking to compensate for and maybe more importantly that fan noise is no problem in the sealed server room.

Mine is for 100% fun video and audio. You can overclock the IWill's by a jumper, albeit mine isn't overclocked.

The E7500's are server boards, while the E7505 could be used for servers, but most likely are being used for reasons like I have. Screaming fast disk access for work with video and audio and anything else that absoluely requires a leap above your average PC.

The problem with the high end PCs is that they tend to generate quite a bit of noise. When your computer is equiped with XLR connected phantom powered large diaphram condenser microphones, noise is a no-no. Enter water cooling, and all is right with the world.

Back