• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet-->Router-wifi->PC-wire->PC | getting both PCs on the net...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

Thats what I have:
Internet--wire-->Router--wifi-->PC--wire-->PC
I need to be able to have internet on the second PC.
At the moment the first PC, with the wireless card is Windows XP but I will likly be changing it to Gentoo eventually. The other PC is just Knoppix w/o a HDD right now but eventually I will probably make that my windows PC (and secondary). But, I can't get the internet on both. When I use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) there is an IP conflict with my router (which I'd rather not change), also windows help and support says you arn't suposed to use ICS on a DHCP (and some other types) network. When I try to bridge the connections the wireless won't connect to the network.

you could use a proxy to get the second pc online. I use analog x's proxy for mine because I'm on dialup

The XP machine wireless card must have the IP address of 192.168.0.1. This means that if your router has that IP, you must first change that. The XP machine also needs to share that connection. I would recomend running the wizard. The wizard will configure the IP and set-up the shareing. All you rally have to do is to make sure the router has an 'off' IP. Many routers use 192.168.0.100 or 192.168.1.1. Any IP will do. Please note that this is a limitation of Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Your second machine will then use 192.168.0.1 as the 'Gateway'. I think that you'ss find it will all work well. Good luck.

There arn't any registry hacks or file hacks to change the IP ICS uses? (I'll change the router's IP if I need but it's a hassle cuz I have to work through my parents.)

Ok, so I change my router's local IP to 192.168.0.2 and I still can't get ICS to work. It gives me an error when i try to use a static IP for my wireless card and I can't connect to the net when I enable it and use DHCP.
Details on the proxy thing?

Last edited:
Back