• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IOS vs Windows hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I recently got into a small argument with a friend about whether or not Apple products can effectively compete with Windows products (custom built pc's) in productivity. From what I have come to understand, the only difference between all Apple computers vs PC's is the OS. And that Apple products run laptop spec'd parts in desktops. So for content creation such as video editing is there a reason to go with an Apple computer? Would a PC be able to outperform an Apple in most ways? Or do I have my head up my ***?

A recent Linus Tech Tip video showed him taking a Apple computer and loading windows onto it and as soon as you do anything intensive, between a game or rendering, the CPU immediately throttled. To me that would make it a terrible product for anything other than web surfing.

If this post is in the wrong spot, please move it to the correct area. I put it under this sub forum because this post is more about hardware than software. Even if Apple IOS is better optimized, which it probably is, the hardware still cant perform do to thermal draw backs correct?

Hello all,

I recently got into a small argument with a friend about whether or not Apple products can effectively compete with Windows products (custom built pc's) in productivity. From what I have come to understand, the only difference between all Apple computers vs PC's is the OS. And that Apple products run laptop spec'd parts in desktops. So for content creation such as video editing is there a reason to go with an Apple computer? Would a PC be able to outperform an Apple in most ways? Or do I have my head up my ***?

A recent Linus Tech Tip video showed him taking a Apple computer and loading windows onto it and as soon as you do anything intensive, between a game or rendering, the CPU immediately throttled. To me that would make it a terrible product for anything other than web surfing.

If this post is in the wrong spot, please move it to the correct area. I put it under this sub forum because this post is more about hardware than software. Even if Apple IOS is better optimized, which it probably is, the hardware still cant perform do to thermal draw backs correct?

There is an element of truth to this but there's more to it than that. If what you say were entirely true then you should be able to install either Windows or Apple OS directly from install media and have a functional computer using third party hardware. But you can't do that. If you are going to run an Apple OS on non Apple hardware then you have to have special boot loaders that emulate Apple motherboard hardware and firmware. Such a build is called a "hackintosh" and I have put together several of them. What is true from a hardware perspective is that Apple has used the same Intel CPUs, memory and storage devices as are used in Windows computers for some years now.

I have never owned a true Apple laptop or desktop so I can't say how well it works to go the other way, that is installing Windows on Apple hardware. What I can tell you is that Apple uses different P states for their computers and that may be why there is down-throttling under load.

Okay i looked it up. So IOS limits the performance where as windows doesnt?

I suppose you could look at it that way. The Windows OS interacts with the Apple firmware and hardware in a different way than IOS would. It all has to do with how the P states are managed.

Okay. Would there be a difference in performance between an 7700k in a Windows PC and a Apple Computer? Lets say render times, would the windows native pc render faster than the apple native computer if they are both supporting the same cpu?

Theoretically the same clock for clock I would think but there will be some variation due to the efficiency differences of the rendering software coding for the two different operating systems.

Keep in mind that the hardware variations used by Apple are much more limited than in the Windows world. If a given CPU or GPU model was not actually deployed in Apple machines they may or may not work at all or if they are close to what was used by Apple they may work to a varying degree.

That would depend on how optimized the OS and software is for the hardware being used.
There is a reason most all major graphics companys use Mac's for production work, and have been for at least 2 decades

I cannot answer that. I just know it's fact.
Something to do with image quality.

That would depend on how optimized the OS and software is for the hardware being used.
There is a reason most all major graphics companys use Mac's for production work, and have been for at least 2 decades

There is a reason , it's hip and cool to use something with a apple on it . That's why... "Hipsters"

There is a reason , it's hip and cool to use something with a apple on it . That's why... "Hipsters"
Eh.....
I recently switched to an iphone from an Android based phone.
I f***ing hate it. Soon as I can I'll be back to Android.

I think a big part of that has to do with an Apple "cult" dynamic in certain fields. There is a disproportionate percentage of Macs used in academia and has been for decades. This is what the people being trained to do graphics arts and similar production type tasks cut their teeth on. They are told from the get go that Macs are easier to use and more trouble free. These people know nothing about computers and don't want to troubleshoot so they believe the line. And there is (or was) a certain amount of truth to what they were being fed about Madcs v. PCs.

I cannot answer that. I just know it's fact.
Something to do with image quality.

Apple OS's have always had great color management built in that is strictly adhered to from the ground up. That's something that to this day, Windows still doesn't have.

Apple OS's have always had great color management built in that is strictly adhered to from the ground up. That's something that to this day, Windows still doesn't have.
Color management? For what?

What else could it be?
Hardware is hardware. It doesn't care what OS, as long as it's supported.

Back