• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IOS vs Windows hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Something I've learned over the years; You can't convince people who are unable, or unwilling to try something else.

IMO, apples are overpriced, and lack customization to my preferences; but have pretty stellar audio software and video rendering/editing software. I was able to use a liquid cooled apple production workstation(had a nvidia Quadro in there, a $4000 gpu at the time) in one of my schools back in 2008, and that is the extent of my use of apple products. I hated the UI of the OS with a passion. :p

I will use windows/linux/ubuntu almost exclusively, Only ever using a mac if my employer required the use of one for my job.

Hello all,

I recently got into a small argument with a friend about whether or not Apple products can effectively compete with Windows products (custom built pc's) in productivity. From what I have come to understand, the only difference between all Apple computers vs PC's is the OS. And that Apple products run laptop spec'd parts in desktops. So for content creation such as video editing is there a reason to go with an Apple computer? Would a PC be able to outperform an Apple in most ways? Or do I have my head up my ***?

A recent Linus Tech Tip video showed him taking a Apple computer and loading windows onto it and as soon as you do anything intensive, between a game or rendering, the CPU immediately throttled. To me that would make it a terrible product for anything other than web surfing.

If this post is in the wrong spot, please move it to the correct area. I put it under this sub forum because this post is more about hardware than software. Even if Apple IOS is better optimized, which it probably is, the hardware still cant perform do to thermal draw backs correct?
If you look at mac hardware they are one or two generations behind windows as far as hardware go. Plus you pay a lot for older hardware on Apple. The reason is comparability and it insure you will be trouble free when working with your project for years to come. I have seen Apple computer running for 10 years with no reinstall of the OS. While windows has been reinstall about every 3 years but this is base on older OS of Windows.

I own an apple mac book pro and it works great for what I needed it for but my main pc is still under Windows. This is due to the fact that all my audio tools, video editing tools and games are more compatible with Windows than IOS. Options are limited to me on Mac but some of their tools are amazing.

Mac runs pretty smooth for being on an old hardware and hdd non ssd. While I feel windows run better on ssd than hdd.

Honestly it will come down to what you need it for. I would personally stick to windows but mac has it places to be in too. Both great units, great hardware and great all around. It will come to personal preference.

:)

If you look at mac hardware they are one or two generations behind windows as far as hardware go. Plus you pay a lot for older hardware on Apple. The reason is comparability and it insure you will be trouble free when working with your project for years to come. I have seen Apple computer running for 10 years with no reinstall of the OS. While windows has been reinstall about every 3 years but this is base on older OS of Windows.

I own an apple mac book pro and it works great for what I needed it for but my main pc is still under Windows. This is due to the fact that all my audio tools, video editing tools and games are more compatible with Windows than IOS. Options are limited to me on Mac but some of their tools are amazing.

Mac runs pretty smooth for being on an old hardware and hdd non ssd. While I feel windows run better on ssd than hdd.

Honestly it will come down to what you need it for. I would personally stick to windows but mac has it places to be in too. Both great units, great hardware and great all around. It will come to personal preference.

:)
Idk, my mother and brothers are running Macs and they could both use a reinstall. I have seen what Mac does and it's just as bad as windows. Only difference is windows let's you reinstall when you need. Mac won't let you trouble shoot. For example my mother's computer runs so slow that I had to boot it into safe mode and do a bunch of maintenance. Apparently Mac doesn't delete files like it should and keeps them. You have to do a secure delete. That took my mother's computer about 4 days straight and still didn't finish. From what I have experienced, Mac is that much more trouble free than windows.

With Macs it's much more difficult to tinker. They don't want you getting under the hood and so they bury a lot of troubleshooting and maintenance tools very deep.

The "trouble free" reputation of Macs is not as true as it once was. Both because of improvement in Windows over time and because there has been some quality backsliding on the Mac side. Since converting to Intel hardware it's my impression that Macs are not as bulletproof as they used to be.

A lot of arguments that once held truth are no longer valid. The maintenance "free" aspect, lack of customization and more. I don't find burying the maintenance tools to be helpful. That just says to me that Windows knows its a piece and crap and doesnt try to hide it where IOS is the same but tries to hide it. Just for the fact that I can just reinstall windows in 30 mins to fix the issues is much better than having to take your computer to a store where no one has a clue how to help you and just sends it back to the people who do. i just dont see much of a reason to run IOS instead of Windows, even with the better looking graphic capabilities. That one good point for IOS is ruined with everything else.

Back