• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPod shuffle.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Funny though, thats what RAID was originally supposed to be, a whole bunch of 5.25" disk drives working in unison. the "ID" in RAID is "inexpensive disks." But yeah, an iPod shuffle array is a waste of money any way you cut it.

Anjow said:
I don't suppose you use head-fi.org?
actually i do :burn:
but im a new member, with only a few posts yet ;)
my other phones are ultrasone hfi650 and i got the porta corda amp from the group buy :D

I never really accepted how small they were, until I saw one today since my boss just got one. Our company is giving those things away at trade shows.

I really like them, but have a hard time paying $99 or $149 for them. Just imagine if they had the black U2 version, I hate to think of the price.

Saw a guy at Starbucks last nite that had a shuffle. 40 yr old guy enjoying some music. He sayed that he loved it, saw them at BB and bought two.................. which doesn't make any sense to me but okay........ it's your money. So I'm definitely considering picking one up. Just have to wait for a few more paychecks to come in.

if you dont like the shuffle but you're looking for 1 gb, check out the sandisk

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?&product_uid=158097

$110 after rebate. its almost as small, but its a little heavier. i didnt care for its controls, and i didnt mind that the shuffle didnt have a screen. the style, size, an ease of use of the shuffle won me over, but for i know its not for everyone. after seeing mine, my brother wanted one, so i found that sandisk deal and he already ordered one.

you can also get shuffle skins which are like stickers for it. they're not my thing, but some people might like them
ips-mint-300.jpg

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/2,197.htm

also, im sure within the next month there will be tons of aftermarket cases. there are already many popping up on ebay from overseas

heres a black one:

shuffle_black.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56171&item=5751698711&rd=1

the thing i dont understnad about this one is how the slider switch on the back is useable. i would guess the silicone would be flexible enough to allow you slide it, and then when you release it, the silicone goes back to normal, but the button stays where you left it? at least i would hope thats how they would work

also, check out these sweet cases that a guy is custom making (he has supposedly started production)

shuffle-case-05.jpg

http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments.php?id=6361_0_7_0_C

but like i said, i dont really care for any of these cases. i'll probably keep it in my pocket when im using it, and put it in an altoids tin with my etys when im not using it.

Last edited:
All right, I've got a question for yall. How easy is it to find songs when you have like 100 loaded on there? I noticed that there isn't a screen so does that make it difficult or do you sort it out on the desktop and then just memorize the order?

enduro, the main concept that Ipods use is playlists. If you load in a playlist, it will play in the order listed in Itunes. I bought a 4 gig Pink Mini Ipod for my wife for her birthday... she still has not figured the playlist concept out. Then again she only listens to about 35 seconds of any given song at a time... She also constantly channel surfs... that is until we got Tivo.

yeah, the shuffle isnt good for someone who wants to listen to a specififc song and changes their mind often. for the past 2 days, i have been loading a playlist i want everyafternoon for the next day. i put them in an order i would want, but i usualy just end up putting it on shuffle. i have only been loading 80 songs, and i find thats a good number. i only put on things i want to hear, and if something comes on that i dont feel like listening to, i skip to the next one.

if your the type of person that needs to be able to find a specific song, you should look at other players.

ipods are overrated for sure.

jetaudio is the bomb.

when i get my x5 in mid march ill have a voice recorder, an fm tuner, ability to record what i hear on my fm tuner (howard stern!), usb to go hook up for digital camera connection on the fly, secure wma support for napster to go, flac & ogg file support as well, ability to view text files as well i think. plus 20 hours of batter life.

ipods are trendy, but they arent the best.

ipods arent the best, but they are an excellent product for a good price

which jetaudio are you getting? how much? from where?

i agree the jetaudios are really nice, but i couldnt find them forsale. judging by the features lists on the website, they are very pricey. they are also all much heavier and larger than the shuffle.

They are 50 bucks more than the Shuffle.............. I don't need a screen for 50 bucks lol :D I'm just waiting for my tax return to come in and then here comes a Shuffle.

zip22 said:
ipods arent the best, but they are an excellent product for a good price

which jetaudio are you getting? how much? from where?

i agree the jetaudios are really nice, but i couldnt find them forsale. judging by the features lists on the website, they are very pricey. they are also all much heavier and larger than the shuffle.

im gettin the x5, its comin out in mid march. colour screen photo viewer.

im just anti ipod after tryin to read so many reviews on other mp3 players that do so much more than ipods (but i do like the ipod interface and size), and every other thread was like, but its not an ipod.

annoying.

ipod sound quality is not as good as lot of the other players out there, and their battery life sucks, and they have fewer features. so its not for everyone. good for some but i just got tired of having to hear , ummm but u r not gettin an ipod.

maybe it made me too anti :)

as far as teh fhuffle goes, i would never want somthing with no screen. there will be plenty of times i may want to play a certain song for someone, or in a car, or at a moment and no screen is crap to me. even if half the time i would do playlists.

So the sound quality of the jetaudio player is better? Is that a fact or just user opinion (honestly, not being a butt). I'm just looking into a new player so I might as well consider all of the options........not too mention that every other person at Auburn has white headphones ( sheep) so I may just buy something else just so I don't feel like a sheep myself lol.

jetaudio is known for having great sound quality in all its mp3 players, ill have to dig up the comparitive reviews i read to quote them.

i mean it depends what you want.

i dont use itunes, i want to use napster to go, i want an fm tuner, i want a voice recorder, i want to record what i can hear on fm, i want to be able to see pictures right from my digital camera, and i want good battery life, all in the same size as an ipod. i found that, its comin out in march. its the x5. the jetaudio m3L has 32 hours of real time battery life. thats nuts. a bit smaller than an ipod, and its available. no screen on the main player but a 6 line lcd on the remote that does it all from there. if u dont need a colour screen, and dont need it to work with secure WMA files, get that. its 20 gigs and its 349 on amazon. the regular m3 which is like 12 horus of batterylife is like 279. both have the fm tuner, voice recording etc.

ipod doesnt do all that. so for me its a dumb choice. but it may be right for u.

what size player u lookin for? how much storage? etc...

i just spent about 10 hours doin research on them things this last two weeks so its pretty fresh in my mind.

idioteQnology said:
jetaudio is known for having great sound quality in all its mp3 players, ill have to dig up the comparitive reviews i read to quote them.

i mean it depends what you want.

i dont use itunes, i want to use napster to go, i want an fm tuner, i want a voice recorder, i want to record what i can hear on fm, i want to be able to see pictures right from my digital camera, and i want good battery life, all in the same size as an ipod. i found that, its comin out in march. its the x5. the jetaudio m3L has 32 hours of real time battery life. thats nuts. a bit smaller than an ipod, and its available. no screen on the main player but a 6 line lcd on the remote that does it all from there. if u dont need a colour screen, and dont need it to work with secure WMA files, get that. its 20 gigs and its 349 on amazon. the regular m3 which is like 12 horus of batterylife is like 279. both have the fm tuner, voice recording etc.

ipod doesnt do all that. so for me its a dumb choice. but it may be right for u.

what size player u lookin for? how much storage? etc...

i just spent about 10 hours doin research on them things this last two weeks so its pretty fresh in my mind.

the player you mentioned thats smaller and has better battery life than the ipod is not better. having the only screen separate from the player was a bad choice, and you cant say its smaller since the extra screen component adds on.

i have never seen an objective sound quality review that separates mp3 players. i have heard jetadio is nice, but i have never heard the ipods are bad or below average.

You can't compare the jetaudio with the shuffle, two completely different products, markets and price ranges. And where can you find info on this X3?

yeah, i was just thinking that. shouldnt we be discussing flash players?

Capt_Caveman said:
You can't compare the jetaudio with the shuffle, two completely different products, markets and price ranges. And where can you find info on this X3?

i wasnt. i was jut venting on ipod in general.

i like havin a screen on the remote. keep the player in my bag or pocket, use screen to do it all. but anyways, info on the x5 is here...

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261043

pic is here: http://www.mp3.com/story/ces_players.html

comin out mid march. around 400 bucks.

Back