• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 3.3V too much for good ol' CH5!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've heard lots of talk about the CH-5 voltage regulation, but no one can ever confirm it, or even link to decent evidence. Any chance someone could do that now? Please?

Soooo... That settles that. Run your ch-5 (as long as its not first run production) at 3.3v all day long 24/7 and dont worry about frying the crap out of it. :)

Can anybody with some advanced knowledge please post and confirm that 3.3v would be ok.
Its said that BH-5 is ok with 3.3v so can anyone say for sure that its the same for CH-5?
ok means to use at that voltage 24/7 without needing a fan on them.

Last edited:
microfire said:
Can anybody with some advanced knowledge please post and confirm that 3.3v would be ok.
Its said that BH-5 is ok with 3.3v so can anyone say for sure that its the same for CH-5?
ok means to use at that voltage 24/7 without needing a fan on them.

Why would you not put a fan on them when you can? That's always the safer thing, even if someone here can "confirm" that you can run it 24/7 at 3.3V.

I want to start a page with funny out-of-context quotes taken from ocforums after reading this thread, because my two favorites so far are "2.9V is seriously enough" and "I hate fans."

You sure you guys are overclockers? ;) :D j/k

PerlAddict said:
I want to start a page with funny out-of-context quotes taken from ocforums after reading this thread, because my two favorites so far are "2.9V is seriously enough" and "I hate fans."

You sure you guys are overclockers? ;) :D j/k

I didn't want to be the one who first say that ;)

Seriously though, cooling your ram that's running at 3.3V is NOT something I'd skimp out on. Just get a small or 80mm fan that runs <20dba and chances are you won't hear it over your other components.

Hehe... 3.3v 24/7 no fans? You dont like fans? Fans are an overclockers best friend... ^_^ failing that you could watercool them.

I ran my ram @ 3.0v with a fan on them... they didnt get too hot. I expect if you are willing to put a faster fan on them then i would expect 3.2 would be OK... but i definatley wouldnt gaurentee that they'd last.

I think the top you would use w/out a fan would be 3.0v -- it took my 2.5-6-3-2 pc3200 ddr400 corsairs up to ddr472 2-5-3-2. Remember, lower temps = more stability.

Good luck, be careful! And dont try and peak your chips hoping for bh-5s... the thermo pad lifts and becomes ineffective on that chip, which reduces the overclockability of the whole stick. Sucks. I know. I have to run a 3000rpm fan on them @ 2.55v (2.4/2.5actual) to keep em stable ddr400 2.5-6-3-2 until i get some ceramic paste and re-apply the spreaders.

Another not is, if you do re-apply the spreaders i suggest ceramic paste -- silver is semi conductive and will short out the soldered legs of the chips.

GOod Luck, have fun, merry overclockmas.

~t0m

Yea I hate fans they create something I dont want and that is noise, to get rid of heat. I have a small room and computer is right next to my bed with no where to move.
Saying that I have no choice, I dont want water cooling for the cost, setup and mantainace. I was cleaning up my case wiring today and decided to put a 80mm fan over the ram, it was inconveniant to make up a braket to hold the fan in position but it is done now.
My memory use to run cool anyway even under load. If you want to see how hot they get with 3.3v and even at stock voltage, feel how much heat they put out when memtest86 is running, your be surprised.
The fan is on there now, I cant bring myself to settle to running my memory at 5:4 lower than 200mhz. So its 3.25v 24/7 from now on with the fan.

Last edited:
I got my DFI UI yesterday :)

My CH-5 seems to be be OK with 3.2 volts.... only time will tell.
Primes been running for 4 hours @ 240MHz, and all looks good for my run at 250 MHz FSB tomorrow, :eek:

buffalo240P_01.jpg

running 2.5,3,3,11 230 fsb 3.0v atm, its unstable at 2.8/2.9 on 225, but stable from 225 up on 3.0v so far... Gonna try for cas2. HAving to run CPC off as the CPU seems to be casuing instability... :(

Might add some mosfet cooling to this DFI and stick 3.2v through the stuff, see if 240 2,2,2,5 is achievable as mentioned above...

I wouldn't worry too much about your volts, worry 'bout the heat. If it's warm it'll take the volts. 3.2v for 5 months about 15hrs/day. If it's hot, use a Panaflo FBA08A12L 80mm fan, very quiet.

Use your digital index multithermal determinator for accurate temperature testing.

CH-5 @ 3.3v

normal_256FSB.JPG

Last edited:
Back