• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 8gb enough these days...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

I currently have 8gb of Corsair Vengeance running at 1600mhz and during BF3 gameplay I always get a windows message saying turn off windows aero theme. :bang head

WHY!?

Is 8gb not enough for modern games?

8GB is more than enough as most games won't even use 4-6GB. There are maybe 3 titles that need more ( including system ~2GB ).

The message to turn off Aero is Windows detecting lag in your graphics solution. It almost never has any basis in reality (especially considering you have two 560Ti GPUs in SLI). It shouldn't do it when you're playing, at least it hasn't ever done that for me. When it happens on my PC, there is a tiny lag between me closing a game and the desktop showing up.

If you tell it not to remind you again (or maybe the option is to never tell you?), it should end that particular error. Might do it on other games at some point, but it won't do it again at that spot.

alot of games and benches automatically disable it so this one seems its just giving you the option, couldnt hurt anything it should turn it back on after you exit the game

8GB is heaps. I was running 3 Windows Server 2008 R2 VMs + the Windows 7 host on 8GB of RAM and it's fine.

I dont think so, as programs are consuming more and more memories and the rise of ram disk, i dont think its going to be a bad idea if u plan to fill the ram slots :p

Back