• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 5.25 bay with 3x high end 40mm fans a good idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aquitain3

Registered
Hey Im the guy who loves to ask fan config questions :ty:

I was thinking about grabbing this bay cooler frame and 3 noctua 40x10mm fans to go in it. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with 40mm bay coolers. My config would have noctuas which are nice and quiet and still move air.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...0mm_Extreme_Bay_Cooler_Exhaust_or_Intake.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17474/fan-1142/Noctua_NFA4X10FLX_40_x_10mm_Fan_NFA4X10FLX.html

Regardless of my bay cooler question, just wanted to say how cool I think high end 40mm fans are. SO many possibilities I think.

No way would I do that simply because of noise. If it isn't noiseyz, it isn't moving any air. ;)

This is something that I did out of necessity once. My old rig only has one 80mm exhaust fan and no intake. Temps were getting high while overclocking so I did my first case mod. I mounted 2 80mm stock cpu cooler fans (had plenty just laying around) and mounted them in the bays. Works great and noise is tolerable. A better case is the better way to go but for that ol' rig, it ain`t gonna happen.

Pics to come this evening (after work).

I cant wait for you to post your mod pics. I have to say, I half expected the "loud and not moving much air" comment. This makes me sad because I like the idea of the fully outfitted and overpriced bay cooler ;)

Waste of money in my opinion. Those Noctua fans push less than 5 ft3/m and they're ~$20 a pop, plus the $70 bay adapter...

They wouldn't help in any meaningful way. You would need to get some 40x28mm or 40x56mm screamers at ~15K RPM for a noticeable amount of airflow, but the noise would be like a jet engine.

If you still want to do this, then I would suggest modding your existing 5.25" bay cover to hold 3x40mm fans. All you need is a drill or rotary tool with a couple bits to save $70, I would think most people have a hand drill around or at least a neighbor that would let you use theirs for ~15 minutes.

As promised here is a pic of 2 80mm stock CPU fans mounted on 2 5.25" bay slots.

Edit: The case in this picture is an Apevia something or other. The bay grills are from my Xion case in my sig. As you can see the no longer functioning temp gage on the Apevia prevents a fan from being mounted there so this was the best in-expensive way to solve this. I don't believe it's any louder that your typical case fan that would normally be there. Except now I have air flowing directly over my ram into my CPU cooler. I did have to cut and extend the wiring which was super easy if you know how to solder.

Last edited:
Wow I didn't even catch that the OP was going to switch out the 40's for the Noctua's. 120+ can buy a nice case with good airflow.

Actually, no, wrong. The mounting plate cost $25 usd if you opt to buy it without the fans. This puts it at a similar 70 total with the noctua fans.

I have one of those fractal r4 cases which I would recommend.

I was just thinking that bay coolers where a good way to get air moving in that part of my case. I was also thinking about getting some nice wire to ghetto rig a fan in the bay since I dont use a dvd drive.

any recommendation on fine wire that I can use? Maybe just some nice fishing line xD

yeah I will go with the fishing line because I have no experience with wires and dont know where to get good wire

I'll post another application I did with fans. You might be able to rig something up similar. Still at work for now.

Actually, no, wrong. The mounting plate cost $25 usd if you opt to buy it without the fans. This puts it at a similar 70 total with the noctua fans.

I have one of those fractal r4 cases which I would recommend.

I was just thinking that bay coolers where a good way to get air moving in that part of my case. I was also thinking about getting some nice wire to ghetto rig a fan in the bay since I dont use a dvd drive.

If you have 3 free bays that are doing nothing, you can mount a 120mm in there. You would get 10 times the cooling for a quarter of the cost.

Just trying to help you save some dough, otherwise I'm all in favour of getho modding.

If you have 3 free bays that are doing nothing, you can mount a 120mm in there. You would get 10 times the cooling for a quarter of the cost.

Just trying to help you save some dough, otherwise I'm all in favour of getho modding.

That's what I would have done in my old rig if I had the extra bay. LOL

So here I put 2x50mm to work on my bro's VRM's with 2 plastic twist ties(the ones that come with power cords-no metal) and 2 of these with the ends cut off.

Back