• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 750W PSU enough for this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Count connectors too. You list 4 SATA internal devices. (I'm assuming the external SATA devices have their own power supplies.) Do the smaller PSUs have this many SATA power connectors? Adding splitters is not a big deal but could easily make a smaller PSU as expensive as a bigger one.
Thanks for the heads up. I checked and fortunately the G-550 by Seasonic does have 6 connectors. The external drives are/will be all bus powered.

I'm going for a semi-modular PSU, like the aforementioned Seasonic, where the necessary cables (CPU/ATX) are non-removable and the rest removable. I don't see any reason for going fully modular, as I don't have any plans of re-sleeving the cables. Well, I guess cleaning the PSU fan is a lot easier with modular, but as that's not precisely a daily procedure...

Wait, did you post the wrong link? That's a 500W, not 750W.

Well, technically a 750W would allow the future possibility of SLI, which I might go for at some point. However, I could always sell the 550 and buy a new on if needed.

Yall be killin me.

psu_zps6f347127.png

and its more than just "in the future I could get blah blah blah". Id rather run at a 750w power supply @ 60% 24/7 than a 500w @90% 24/7. Heat and system ratings come to mind. Its simply a suggestion. I'd rather have something and not need it, than find out later on you wanna upgrade a graphics card only to not have enough juice. 750 is definitely overkill, but its not cost prohibatively so, either.

Just to out this out there...

The difference in price of the 500w model and 750w model is $40. $50 for the 500 and $90 for 750w or 80% more than the 500w.

Maybe since the op has a hex, I would go 600w (there is that $10-$25 difference) and never worry about any single gpu pc.

I wouldn't run a psu at 90% of it's label either... But it wouldn't do that on his system in the first place. ;)

Don't forget:
I run a 4930K @ 4.2Ghz ~1.2v and a GTX 780 Lightning with a 560W PSU and the fan barely spins up on it. ;)
I think I peak a bit over 425w AT THE WALL which is around 375w actual use (platinum efficiency) .

Edit: my review - 388w at the wall with 4ghz 4770k and overclocked 780 -http://www.overclockers.com/msi-n780-lightning-review

Last edited:
Yeah well technically I'm runing a 850 on the main rig with one video card and it's a lot but got it a good price att, but my APC still shows 550 or so when folding or benching.

It still is a bit of overkill here.

What else outside of your PC is plugged into the APC? Monitor perhaps? Even with my hex and 780 folding I can't break 450W...

Yeah I do have the monitor on there I guess.

I used to have some in SLI and was higher, I do have the monitor on it. Was busting along at almost 700 at one point.

Silly me.

:cheers:

Even so, that Seasonic made Antec I put up there looks pretty nice for the price, but I guess wants semi-modular.

yup it dos, I forget that a bit have had the APC with the digital readout a long time I guess, I just ever now and then push the button on it see what its pulling I guess.

Have the PSU's pretty much overkill on the three rigs running I guess.

:salute:

Last edited:
Just to out this out there...

The difference in price of the 500w model and 750w model is $40. $50 for the 500 and $90 for 750w or 80% more than the 500w.

I wouldn't run a psu at 90% of it's label either... But it wouldn't do that on his system in the first place. ;)

At the time of posting, the price difference was 15$ :confused: 15$ well spent in my opinion honestly. If its 40$, then yeah, get the one for half the cost lol.

This is my logic :
A decent graphics card is pullin 150-200 watts at any time, more if overclocked. 4930k has 130w at stock, Im guessing 150-160 overclocked isn't too outlandish. Add 100 for tertiary components, and you're pretty close to the 450 mark. Certainly not at idle at stock speeds, but if he's overclocking, or going to be upgrading gpu at anypoint, its just extra headroom that I would find more comfortable honestly. If you're not upgrading any time soon, and you're happy with stock t hings, than yeah a 500-600 is more than plenty.

If thats innacurate, than I apologize, just makes sense in my head is all. :shrug:

If you're not upgrading any time soon, and you're happy with stock t hings, than yeah a 500-600 is more than plenty.
This is where we diverge...and here is my logic, rooted in facts.

Here is the thing...it is really situation dependent and you estimates are overestimated. The TDP values of CPUs and GPUs are only hit when they are maxed out at 100% use with something like F@H, mining, or running stress tests. When gaming, even when overclocked, I barely hit the TDP of some cards. For example, my 780 Lightning. I was able to raise the voltage and clocks to 1320Mhz (from 11xx), and hit 108% power so 270W total overclocked. Remember that GPUs have power limits. CPUs are about the same. This OP said "slight" overclock on the CPU so I do not imagine it to use more than the TDP honestly...

Like I said, I run a 780 Lightning (same TDP as his 580), and a 4930K with a "slight" overclock (4.2Ghz), and I peak around 425W AT THE WALL. I have seen 475W (AT THE WALL) when overclocking the 4930K to 4.7Ghz and the Lightning to that 1320 MHz core. The fan on my Seasonic X560 will occasionally spin up (its temp controlled). I also ran a GTX 690 on it and it peaked around 500W (AT THE WALL). The 580, IIRC, does not have those power limits, but assuming he is not volt modding and such, I wouldn't be worried.

So I stand by the statement that a quality 550W PSU will handle any single GPU system, even overclocked... outside of an AMD Octco FX overclocked to the moon.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and opinions. As EarthDog and me seem to have a somewhat similar setup, I think I trust his judgement in the matter and I'm positive that 550W would be more than enough. However, yesterday I stumbled upon Seasonic's P-660 and after some thought have decided upon that one. It cost just a little bit more, so I thought what the heck. The reviews I read about it were so over-the-top fantastic, that I couldn't resist :D

Thanks again! PS. Even though this correction's two pages late... I'm not a 'he' ;)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and opinions. As EarthDog and me seem to have a somewhat similar setup, I think I trust his judgement in the matter and I'm positive that 550W would be more than enough. However, yesterday I stumbled upon Seasonic's P-660 and after some thought have decided upon that one. It cost just a little bit more, so I thought what the heck. The reviews I read about it were so over-the-top fantastic, that I couldn't resist :D

Thanks again! PS. Even though this correction's two pages late... I'm not a 'he' ;)

Oh, that's a seriously solid unit. JonnyGuru gave it a 9.6/10, only lost points on "value"!

Also, hullur! :chair:

Oh, that's a seriously solid unit. JonnyGuru gave it a 9.6/10, only lost points on "value"!

Also, hullur! :chair:
Hehe, yeah, I read that too. JG's conclusion comments were amusing :D
Also, the online store that I found the P-660 on had a long text underneath, stating that they (the owners) rarely write anything about their products, but that this PSU is so fantastic that they had to give a heads up. "This isn't mere advertising any more, this is just the greatest PSU ever made, trust us on this and buy it!" :D

That will likely be the last PSU you buy for years for that PC unless you go SLI/CFx. A bit pricey, but a hell of a unit.

Enjoy! :)

Hehe, yeah, I read that too. JG's conclusion comments were amusing :D
Also, the online store that I found the P-660 on had a long text underneath, stating that they (the owners) rarely write anything about their products, but that this PSU is so fantastic that they had to give a heads up. "This isn't mere advertising any more, this is just the greatest PSU ever made, trust us on this and buy it!" :D

Yeah, the guy that writes those (Oklahoma Wolf), does a fantastic job at keeping readers entertained.

I agree with EarthDog, I'll be surprised if you buy a PSU in the next 5 (maybe even 10) years unless you pop in multiple GPUs.

This is where we diverge...and here is my logic, rooted in facts.

Here is the thing...it is really situation dependent and you estimates are overestimated. The TDP values of CPUs and GPUs are only hit when they are maxed out at 100% use with something like F@H, mining, or running stress tests. When gaming, even when overclocked, I barely hit the TDP of some cards. For example, my 780 Lightning. I was able to raise the voltage and clocks to 1320Mhz (from 11xx), and hit 108% power so 270W total overclocked. Remember that GPUs have power limits. CPUs are about the same. This OP said "slight" overclock on the CPU so I do not imagine it to use more than the TDP honestly...

Like I said, I run a 780 Lightning (same TDP as his 580), and a 4930K with a "slight" overclock (4.2Ghz), and I peak around 425W AT THE WALL. I have seen 475W (AT THE WALL) when overclocking the 4930K to 4.7Ghz and the Lightning to that 1320 MHz core. The fan on my Seasonic X560 will occasionally spin up (its temp controlled). I also ran a GTX 690 on it and it peaked around 500W (AT THE WALL). The 580, IIRC, does not have those power limits, but assuming he is not volt modding and such, I wouldn't be worried.

So I stand by the statement that a quality 550W PSU will handle any single GPU system, even overclocked... outside of an AMD Octco FX overclocked to the moon.

Fair enough! Im NOT disagreeing with you, Im simply saying, if a 750w is only a few bucks more, why not? 40$ breaches that "cost effective" thing out the window though haha.

Back