• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a a6-3650 a decent gaming cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowep

Registered
Would I be able to run a 560Ti on a a6-3650. I hear that the cpu will choke out a card at lower resolutions, so i take it that that is bad?

The link below describes the AMD APU against the lower level I3 and surrounding info. Based on what I have read it does not make a lot of sense to build with an APU type chip and then put it with a pretty good video card. If you have a good video card as was talked of in the link, the Intel i3 makes more sense. But the link says it better than I could.

A6-3650 for gaming. Copied >> if you have your heart set on an AMD system, dropping another $20 on the A8-3860 will get you an APU that satisfies more readily and across a wider range of usage scenarios. End Copy.

Hi Iowep,

Closest I've read pairing an APU with a discrete card is an A8 3870K. You may like to read this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a8_3870k_review,19.html

I think there was something on Toms Hardware reviews but I cant remember exactly.

Where I am, based on prices, its closer to compare the Intel G cpus to the APUs . Or else the closest i3 would be the lower i3 range like the 2120, which is a little pricier by about $30 compared to a6-3650.

I like the option of more cores though.

Last edited:
The strength of the APU is the very good integrated graphics. Better off going for an Intel i3 if you already have a decent GPU.

I ended up getting a phenom x4 denabi I believe to hold me over for a little bit. I had originally just intended to upgrade my gpu and psu but ran into issues and am now starting my first PC build :) One of my friends has a the amd 8150 in his new computer that I'll probably end up upgrading to that in the future until I get enough to really go all out on a great intel build. Thanks for the help guys, I'll know where to return to in the future especially if I run into problems in my upcoming build. Quick quetion, where would a beginner look to find out how to put his first pc together?

Back