• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Digital HD as good as blu ray

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you talking about Over The Air (OTA) HD TV signals? If so, they are the same as a Bluray, as Blurays originally used (and still do) MPEG2 compression at much higher bitrates (13Mbps+) then DVD video.

If you are talking about Cable or Satellite TV HD signals, then no. Both tend to highly compress the signal (especially satellite) to try and fit more channels in the same available bandwidth. If you compare a OTA HD TV show to the same exact show as seen from a cable or satellite HD stream, you'll note that the OTA HD TV signal has noticeably better quality.

I was talking about streaming vs blu ray http://www.foxdigitalhd.com/

What is the meaning of what you were saying over the air TV?

Do I have this in the right section in the forms I'm not getting too many replies.

I don't think it's in the wrong section, although it does deal more with multimedia.

That being said, Over The Air aka OTA, is just that. Over The Air signals.

As far as that foxdigitalhd, if it is like every other streaming service then yes, it is compressed, and no, it isn't bluray quality in the sense that trying to stream at the bitrates required for what can be considered bluray quality, would require a constant downstream around 30-50Mbps just to be sure of no interruption. Most "1080P HD" quality video streaming is usually only around 8Mbps.

Back