• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to connect 2 different router companies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

100mbHD

Hi, I have a netgear router connected to another netgear wireless reciever. If I were to buy a linksys wireless reciever, would it work with the netgear router. Or other way around. Could I connect a netgear wireless adapter to a wireless linksys router? Thanks.

another brand of wireless pci card? if so, yes. im not sure about the bridge function of wireless routers though. i would rather use two pci cards for a bridge anyway.

I believe that they both use the same internal chips for their wireless, so I would say yeah. In my old apartment building a guy downstairs and a few appartmetns over from me has a dlink set up (mine is linksys) and we were always showing up under each others available networks, I was using the ambicom card built into my laptop, but he was using a dlink 802.11b nd connecting to my WRT54g with no problem

Yes it will work. 802.11 a/b/c is a standard. I have a wireless dlink router and linksys pci cards and everything works fine. You will not be able to use the extra features though. (i.e. the speeds boosts everyone is advertising.)

Back