• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to go fanless on my Q6600 with a TRUE120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiglyWorm

I got a new processor, so I'm thinking about putting my Q6600 in to service as my HTPC processor. If I get rid of the overclock, is it possible to cool this thing fanless?

You can't run the TRUE fanless, the fin spacing is far too close and in it doesn't facilitate air movement through the heatsink. You could use very low speed fans to achieve near-silence, though.

please DON'T do it....

I've tried to do Ven-X fanless on my Q6600 for a few minutes, before....
then I realized I smell something funny, luckily I don't see any smoke and my Q6600 was survive and still in service until now

Q6600 was too much for a HTPC, IMO...

I've tried the AMD Sempron 140 with a fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer, and prime95 it for about 30 minutes, temps were great, never reach 60 (I live in Bandung, Indonesia. where ambient usually around 23-28)

Copper TRUE (passive), i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.3v doing 8 threads of Prime95 :D :D :D

This lasted for 5 mins but then I had to abort the test LOL (October 2010)

49510547.jpg

Copper TRUE (passive), i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.3v doing 8 threads of Prime95 :D :D :D

This lasted for 5 mins but then I had to abort the test LOL (October 2010)
That's a pretty loose definition of passive :p

I have a Q6600 under a TRUE in my HTPC... with a 7v fan though. IBT puts it just below 70C, so that's good enough worst-case for me.

I run my 2600K passively if it's idle, but the HR-02 was sorta designed to do that. It's a nice cooler in general. Tearing through Skyrim with the CPU fan at 7v and it barely touches 55C.

Heh - looks like there's plenty airflow but there's not. All the 120mm fans at that time were exhaust, so nothing was blowing on the TRUE... which is why it reached 85C very quickly and continued to climb :D

As thideras said, the fin spacing on the TRUE (and Ven-X) is too narrow and is much better suited to high powered fans, particularly server fans, which is why I just bought me a Ven-X for winter. :D :D

Back