• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to replace this chip with this chip..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsella

I have an ASUS laptop and it currently has an i3 M 370 in it..

My buddy's laptop took a **** (fried board) and it had an i7-2630QM chip in it.

I tried taking that chip and putting it into my laptop since it fit perfectly fine and everything, but my laptop would not turn on. Put the i3 back in it, turned on perfectly fine.

I'm just curious if the chip itself is bad, or if it just isn't compatible in the first place?

Thank you!

I have an ASUS laptop and it currently has an i3 M 370 in it..

My buddy's laptop took a **** (fried board) and it had an i7-2630QM chip in it.

I tried taking that chip and putting it into my laptop since it fit perfectly fine and everything, but my laptop would not turn on. Put the i3 back in it, turned on perfectly fine.

I'm just curious if the chip itself is bad, or if it just isn't compatible in the first place?

Thank you!

Did you compare the pin-outs of the i7 and i3 before you applied power? Just because
something fits doesn't mean its electrically compatible. You might have had some real fun if Vcc had been applied to a Vss land.

Back