• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

Change an IC chip on a laptop motherboard. I have a laptop that has a blown ic chip. I have aquired a non-working motherboard for the same laptop but with what looks like good chips on it but other problames. How hard would it be to switch the chip? I do have one of the instant heat-instant cool down tools if that would help.

Pntgrd said:
Change an IC chip on a laptop motherboard. I have a laptop that has a blown ic chip. I have aquired a non-working motherboard for the same laptop but with what looks like good chips on it but other problames. How hard would it be to switch the chip? I do have one of the instant heat-instant cool down tools if that would help.
There are alot of "IC chips" on a motherboard. It depends on which one. Pickey?

And don't use that tool on anything electronic.

There are alot of "IC chips" on a motherboard. It depends on which one.
I was asking a general question if it was possible. The chip in question is not much, 4 leads each on two opposing sides. The leads are easy to get at.

And don't use that tool on anything electronic.
I would guess it would get too hot by your statement. The tip is way to big anyway. Would a 10w soldering pencil with a very fine tip work if you stayed on just enough to melt the solder and suck it up in the suction tool I have seen?

Pntgrd said:
I would guess it would get too hot by your statement. The tip is way to big anyway. Would a 10w soldering pencil with a very fine tip work if you stayed on just enough to melt the solder and suck it up in the suction tool I have seen?
No, the reason you don't want to use it is because it uses current to generate the heat, thus killing electronic components...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=419507

Back