• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it time to pull our old, spare gpu's off the shelf????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
with the crypto craze driving the gpu market the way it is, is it time to pull all our old, unused, and spare gpus and sell them off?
I have two 980's, 2 980TI's, two 970's on the shelf, my guess is they'd go for more than I paid for them.
my 1080's come out of the rendering rig very soon and I was planning on putting them in the game rig, I may have to rethink that..........

I just checked 1070 prices at the 'egg. The cheapest available 1070 is over $200 more than I paid for my HOF. Not wishing any personal crisis on anyone's finances, but I'm looking forward to the whole pretend money craze to implode.

Depends on how much you paid for them. ;)

I dont know how efficient they are compared to the latest gen, but a 1070 and 980ti are pretty close performance wise (games). Assuming that holds true to mining, the difference between the two power wise is alot (250W vs 165W). Being less efficient by a lot... id guess it depends on price to meet their intended ROI.

at the prices they have been driven too, many of us could sell off our 1060 through 1080TI and 460 through 580 cards at a profit, limp on our weaker cards for a while and then replace them at the next cryptocrash.
I bought many of my cards second hand and could make few months mining profit without burning a bit of dyno juice!!!!!
as it stands now, if a card you want appears in the classies, you had better pull the trigger when you first see it.

I have an R5 230 and a HD5450 laying around. I've been tempted to unload the HOF and RX 480 just to take some chump's money and feel good about it, but in the end I don't want to be any part of it.

a part of what? a part of profit making? I like to be a part of profit making........ with reduced risk.
crypto crashes, people sell off to keep the overhead down so you help them twice, once selling them a card to help them mine and then you provide a bit of cash when the value falls, I see it as a win/win all the way around.

^ Tell me about it :(
I have gotten back into the benching again and have been looking at the price of cards. I purchased several USED R9 290's a couple of years ago for less than some are asking for a USED HD-7970 now :( Even the Nvidia 7xx series is too hot for me right now :(

with the crypto craze driving the gpu market the way it is, is it time to pull all our old, unused, and spare gpus and sell them off?
I have two 980's, 2 980TI's, two 970's on the shelf, my guess is they'd go for more than I paid for them.
my 1080's come out of the rendering rig very soon and I was planning on putting them in the game rig, I may have to rethink that..........

With 970s going for $200, 980s $300, 980Tis $450 that's around $1,700 sitting on your shelf. Even selling on ebay with fees and shipping you'd bag around $1,400 net in a week. I'd sell them for sure while they still have such a high value, unless you have some actual use for them.

I've kinda debated selling off some of my Maxwell GPUs, as to be honest, I have more than I need. Maybe a 970 and 980Ti. I think I can comfortably break even over their purchase price, so effectively I've used them for "free" the time I had them. Power wise, they can still be profitable for mining, but obviously not nearly as good as Pascal. Even if miners don't want it, it could help fill in the gaming gap. For practical purposes, a 980Ti is comparable to a 1070 so plenty to get along with in the upper mid range.

Only thing stopping me is I find it a pain to do sales. Prefer face to face but my local market is too limiting. Places like ebay are just too risky.

Places like ebay are just too risky.

What risks are you talking about? I've been buying and selling there since 2000 and the few times someone tried to scam me, I opened a case and got my money back. Things like Craig's list and all this phone apps for buying and selling is where all the risks are.

What risks are you talking about? I've been buying and selling there since 2000 and the few times someone tried to scam me, I opened a case and got my money back. Things like Craig's list and all this phone apps for buying and selling is where all the risks are.

Glad you've had good luck on fleabay, but I wouldn't use it to buy or sell used bathroom tissue. Way too much hassle (and expense) for transactions that are iffy at best, for me. IMO.

I was thinking of selling my 1070 for a profit, but then I won't be able to afford a replacement at current prices

That same thought crossed my mind. That, and the propensity to undervolt in mining rigs (so I've heard) would leave my card's 2265 MHz (on air) potential wasted. So charging extra for the HOF moniker probably wouldn't fly, either.

I buy from ebay frequently, and have only been hit by a scam once (good but realistic pricing, good feedback, history of selling similar items). Selling is what scares me. I'm sure statistically it isn't bad otherwise no one would do it, but I don't want to deal with the listing and shipping and all that pain. Risk of fraudulent claims even if you follow process. Plus fees on top, do they still require you to get paid into paypal? Too many layers of risk and pain. As a business dedicated to it, you might suck it, but I don't have time for that.

On the rare occasion I do sell, it is usually to people I know or via forums I frequent. Buyer collects. Sure, it restricts the buyer's market, but there's much lower risk in that.

Yeah, prices have definitely gone up, on ebay (other sites maybe have too, maybe not)

970's were $150-180 around 2-6 months ago (now they're $200-250)
980's were $200-250 around 2-6 months ago (now they're $300-350 (or more))
980 Ti's were $250-325 6 months ago (now they're $450-550 (or more))

Congrats, you've just hit the computer part lottery on resale value. The 980 Ti's are worth nearly as much now as they were when they were new for working ones, and even the broken ones are often going for $300+ (crazy, right?).

Even older ones than this have increased in value. I sold two 780 Ti's, one for $135, one for $155, and now they're going for $200+. Wish I'd held onto them longer and sold them later.

There's a weird part of me that is considering selling my 1080ti for like $900+ used (paid retail $770 or so for it), but I don't actually have a backup right now, and the ultrawide has benefited hugely from a card at this level. I think I'm going to count it as a win and hold on to it, but I can't pretend I wasn't tempted to sell it for a profit.

Yeah, prices have definitely gone up, on ebay (other sites maybe have too, maybe not)

970's were $150-180 around 2-6 months ago (now they're $200-250)

I got very lucky: friend of mine bought a 1080 last summer before the prices went crazy and he passed his 970GTX on to me for 150$..

I am curious if it might be cheaper to wait till the end of march/beginning of april and try to get one of the new cards rumored to come out then?

i'm thinking it might be before all the consumer reviews come out saying yay/nay on how well it does mining fictional money

Wait. Got my Gigabyte 1060 6gb for £235 and now it’s selling for £354. If I had a spare I would definitely sell it [emoji4]

Just sold me 290 I had. I replaced it in August with a 1080ti and was using it for mining to help pay off my 1080ti. Worked out well and turned around and sold it for nearly as much as I paid for it 4 years ago.
Crazy how the market works that is for sure. I'd say if your not using them sell them off, maybe hold onto a 980ti if you do gaming incase you do need some power.

I was looking at 4 1080ti's for my new rendering rigs but have gone with 4 pro duos for them, that gives me 4 gpu chips in each along with 16 gigs of vram per chip for about a grand a pop as opposed to 8 gigs on each 1080TI.

Back