• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it? (newb question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R_Pierce

Hello guys, Im fairly new to this whole OC'ing thing. I currently have a Cryorig R1 Ultimate air cooler on an OC'd i5-6500 (non-k). I have it set at the following (as stable temp wise as I could get without crossing 70*c package temps)

BCLK : 148
Multiplier : 32 (stock)
Vcore Voltage : 1.385

Under bench marking I get package temps a max of 67*c / stress testing (Prime95 running for an hour) I get package temps a max of 58*c

My question is, would an AIO 280mm or 360mm help at all? Or am I already flirting with max stability on this chip (at current voltages/clock)?

Thanks in advance!!

There is absolutely no need of better cooling in your case: you're well safe up to the high 80's at such voltage.

High 80's package temps? Not core temps. I was reading that 70*c was the max safe temp for package temps?

Also by removing the aide panel to my case, I dropped 3-4*c alone. So I'll try repositioning my fans (more of them pulling air out instead of forcing it in)

High 80's package temps? Not core temps. I was reading that 70*c was the max safe temp for package temps?

Also by removing the aide panel to my case, I dropped 3-4*c alone. So I'll try repositioning my fans (more of them pulling air out instead of forcing it in)

That's for AMD FX processors. Intel goes all the way up to 100c before throttling.

What CPU bench do you recommend? Still playing around, but using Cinebench R15 right now. And then also testing with Prime95.

I personally wouldn't go beyond 80c-85c in core temps. Once you hit the 85c-90c, you will start to degrade the chip's longevity, slowly but surely.

I personally wouldn't go beyond 80c-85c in core temps. Once you hit the 85c-90c, you will start to degrade the chip's longevity, slowly but surely.

I dont have a way to monitor core temperatures (the overclocking bios for non-k breaks it) So I just monitor package temps. I think I have found a stable clock here this morning. Its a little lower than I had, but it keeps the voltage dead steady at 1.408 under 100% load. Also package temps are not cresting 63*c, so I guess that answers my question as to whether water cooling would be worth it on this particular setup/chip eh? :)

While not needed for your setup Swiftech is doing a massive sale and has the h220x and h120x for a good deal... Think the h220x was down to 95 bucks last I checked. So if you are still interested that would be a decent way to get into water cooling with the possibility of turning it into a custom loop down the road if you wanted.

While not needed for your setup Swiftech is doing a massive sale and has the h220x and h120x for a good deal... Think the h220x was down to 95 bucks last I checked. So if you are still interested that would be a decent way to get into water cooling with the possibility of turning it into a custom loop down the road if you wanted.

I have actually long since upgraded. Im currently running an i7-7700k with a Swiftech 320x2 cooler. But it will be up for sale as soon as my custom loop parts arrive from EK. :)

Back