• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

I've got an older PC that I'm using to stream media to my home theater. The program I use PLEX sometimes has to transcode the video and it's painfully slow. I've added memory and a good graphics card, but after talking with PLEX developers they said what it really needs is processing power. The system currently has 1 core 1 processor CPU, ancient by today's standards. I've listed some screen caps with my stats. My question is, can I just buy a new CPU and upgrade it myself, and if so is it worth the hassle? I've built my fair share of computers, but I've never upgraded a CPU. Does it just pop out and pop in, and what factors do I need consider? Even better would be if someone linked me to a cheap decent processor that would suit my needs. :D I usually don't ask to be spoon fed the answer, but I've got a lot of other projects going and I'm looking for a quick fix to this headache. Thanks all!

ekTudYx.png

vrRlKAC.png

I looked up your motherboard, it looks like a dual Xeon unit. I'm assuming you only have one processor in it? It seems as if you have a few options. You could add another Xeon if it's possible but due to the age of the system your best path would be a total upgrade. The newer processors coupled with DDR3 ram will probably out perform dual single core Xeon's by a significant margin.

The motherboard you have, only supports 800mhz fsb, while the processor you are looking at has a 1066mhz fsb. I don't think it would work in your computer.

The article I was reading said the FSB needs to be the same or faster. So actually it has to be identical, is that what you're saying?

EDIT: Also if anyone could post an example of something at works from eBay that would be mega helpful

Last edited:
Your system is too old. That technology is too ancient. You won't find a decent CPU upgrade that will work with your motherboard. You just won't.

You will need a new CPU, new RAM (DDR3), and a new motherboard.
Your current motherboard and RAM are obsolete.

Something like an AMD FX 6 core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286
M5A99FX motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

and any 2x4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 of your choosing.

You'll also need new optical and hard drives as your current drives are likely PATA/EIDE rather than SATA. Check your drives right now and tell us if its a flat wide cable or a narrow cable.

What video card do you have right now? PCIE or AGP?

Also, I find it confusing that you say you've built PCs before but you don't know how to install a CPU. Building a computer involves installing a CPU. :D

Plex supports Intel quicksync. Get an I3 3225 and that cpu will run circles around that Xeon and even the Fx 5 cpu suggested by Theocnoob.

I'm just looking to breath a little life into an old machine. I wasn't looking to put $300 into this project. My goal was more to spend $50-$75 on a processor that is 2-3 years old, get it maybe refurbished and have it keep my media center kicking for another year until I can replace it. Is that possible, or can I not just replace the processor, will I need a major overhaul.

If you can find a xeon paxville dp 2.8, it would be faster than what you have and be compatible with your motherboard. this one is a dual core processor.

If you want to keep single core, you can search for a 3.8 and 3.8E xeon irwindale. These xeon are single core and have a clock speed of 3.8ghz.

Grab an FX-4300 or FX-6300, with a cheap motherboard and 4GB of DDR3. You'll be looking at $200 or so if you get it on sale or even cheaper if used.

If you can find a xeon paxville dp 2.8, it would be faster than what you have and be compatible with your motherboard. this one is a dual core processor.

If you want to keep single core, you can search for a 3.8 and 3.8E xeon irwindale. These xeon are single core and have a clock speed of 3.8ghz.

I found 2 of those Xeon processors here on eBay, could I install them both since my mobo has 2 slots? Unless you think I should stay single core.. whatever is faster.

Yes you could stick 2 of these into your motherboard. Might as well use both. Just over $4.00 is not bad.

Back