• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it worth overclocking??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dunning3075

Registered
My current system:
MS Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit
AMD Athlon II X2 240 35 °C
Regor 45nm Technology
2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785GM-US2H (Socket M2)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
233GB Seagate ST3250310AS ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
xpower 585 psu

I posted last night and have decided to upgrade my psu to a corsair 500w and my graphics card to a 6670ddr3.

My question is should I be thinking of overclocking my cpu? I am new at this and have never tried anything like this before. I actually thought about buying a phenom ii x4 965 to put in my current board but decided not to.

My current board only holds ddr2 memory and if I put the phenom in it that is the end of my upgrade path. If I am going to change motherboards I think i will either wait and go intel or go to a better amd socket.

Those Regors are great overclockers! Yes, it is definitely worth it. They will overclock easy to 3.5ghz most of the time on the stock cooler. If your motherboard has reasonably good overclocking features in the bios I would definietly try it.

The first step would be to download and install our standard assortment of overclocking helper tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. The second step would be to do a stress test to check temps and stability at stock frequencies and voltages.

Back