• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Honest opinions please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

Simply put, I am trying to determine how obsolete my system is. And if a video card upgrade would make any realistic difference.
My system:
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H (rev 1) Phenom II X6 1100T
12GB (2x4GB, 2x2gb) PC2-6400
(should be 16gb but my other 4gb sticks are wonky)
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 2GB
Creative Audigy sound card. PCI
PCI-E 1 RAID card
128GB SSD (OS drive)
80GB SSD
80GB HHD
500GB HHD
2TB HHD
and 2 DVD rw drives

To this point my system has served me well. It's done everything I've asked it to do with no problems.
None-the-less I've been eyeing some of the latest FPS games and I'm sure my system would choke on them.
So... Knowing that the GPU is most crucial for gaming, would a modern GPU make any realistic difference? Would the CPU simply bottleneck? or would modern games simply not work due to lack of current CPU instruction sets?

Well that's all I've got for now. I am courious on what the community has to say. Later fo now. 👋

Well, the 1100T is over a decade old and I wouldn't be surprised if it bottlenecked a modern midrange to high end GPU at most resolutions.

As for requiring current instruction sets, that really depends on the game - did you have anything in mind?

Also, do you have any kind of budget in mind for upgrades? There's really nothing stopping you from upgrading one thing now and the other later.

This may sound brutal but that thing needs to go in order to take an advantage of a new GPU. To be honest I'm amazed it has lasted this long. If you stick any newer GPU in there it will be bottlenecked so bad you wont see the full potential. At the very least I would say go for a something like an Intel 10xxx series or the AMD equivalent. Personally I would go for top tier because you must be like me and hold on to a pc for entirely too long so will keep the next pc for a very long time.

Im assuming you're rocking a 1080p monitor? As Bug said, that's got to go. Just way too old... too slow, too few cores/threads. It's a good web/email machine, and good for games that came out then, perhaps, but, any halfway modern GPU is going to be held back significantly by that processor. Will you see an improvement? Likely. But it will be a low glass ceiling.

The easiest and fastest way to upgrade and or get a GPU is to buy a system with the GPU you want and budget will allow.

Otherwise go with a console for gaming, use this PC for whatever you have been using it for.

I found this CPU,MOBO, memory bundle in my local Craigslist.
Would I be stupid to pass it up?
Or is it over priced. (I am just enough out of touch with tech that I've become ignorant of fair pricing)

Ryzen 5 1600
*24GB ram (2 8gb sticks and 2 4gb sticks)
*GA-AB350-GAMING 3
For $210
EDIT: only 8GB ram. Adjusted price $140

Last edited:
Back