• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Linux a dud on laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trottel

I'm asking this because I recently bought an Asus Eee PC 1215T. I bought the cheaper version without an OS. I thought I would install Linux on it. This is the fourth time I've tried Linux, but it is also the time that it left the least favorable impression on me. I never had any issues with Linux before, but I just favored Windows because of the gaming aspect. The first two times, I ran it on my desktop. The first was Red Hat, then Ubuntu 5, then I bought a laptop from Dell with Ubuntu 8.04 on it, and now I put Ubuntu 1.04 on my new Asus. I don't really play games any more, so I thought I would be in heaven. Unfortunately I'm not.

I found an article recently that showed that Linux is using more and more power, both at idle and doing tasks: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_mobile_uffda&num=1 That makes sense. My 1215T, if tweak it to consume as little power as possible, lasts well over an extra hour under Windows 7. I can't compare directly though, because I repasted the heatsink between changing the OS, and the fan spins a whole lot less after repasting. Asus Express Gate showed much worse battery life than Ubuntu though. On top of that, there are tools available within Windows that allow setting the frequency and voltage of both the processor and video card, so you could downclock and undervolt them for even greater battery life, or overclock them for greater performance.

Also there is performance, which is the major fault I find. The 1215T I got shipped with only Asus Express Gate as its OS. Web browsing performance using the preinstalled Firefox was close but slightly better than with Firefox under Ubuntu, but the main difference was that in Express Gate, flash videos on Youtube could be played much, much better than under Ubuntu. 720p could be viewed with very minor barely detectable stutter. In Ubuntu, with everything up to date, including the proprietary AMD video drivers, anything over 240p shows stutter and lagging, even when everything else on the computer is shut down. It isn't very noticeable on 360p and I bet some people would miss it, but at 720p anything becomes pretty much a 1fps or slower slide show. But if you have other web pages open or anything, you can start getting some bad lag even in 240p videos. In Windows 7, this problem does not exist. 720p is fairly smooth to watch, with sometimes some hiccuping or lower framerate noticeable, but still very watchable.

Another problem I have is with the audio. When I put in headphones, sound still comes out of the laptop speakers as well as the headphones. It sucks, and the way around it is to install some extra sound software that give you control over that stuff. Really dumb how that happens to so many people.

These problems were not just encountered by me, but by the few other people who have tried installing Ubuntu on their own 1215T's and other similar netbooks. I really wish Linux could give at least equal performance to Windows 7, but it just doesn't even come close, which is really sad. That with the much decreased battery life means I will mournfully have to keep Windows 7 on my 1215T.

Maybe I am totally wrong and I can install another Linux version and be happy with that, but I doubt it. There seem to be no workarounds for this sort of stuff. I imagine that on any modern desktop or any moderately powerful laptop, these sorts of things are trivial, but on a laptop with only a 1.7Ghz single core Athlon II processor, it makes Linux only an idiot's choice.

Ubuntu linux is very friendly but it does not have the power optimizations that some other distros have. IMO linux is a very suitable OS for laptops or any device that spends most of its time connected to the internet. Alot of the issues that you described are ubuntu issues.

At this moment I am posting from my hp laptop running openSuse 11.4 and my audio is crisper, power settings are not nearly as annoying, boot time is faster, and overall performance is smoother than my dual boot(windows 7 ultimate striped down for gaming performance). There are all of 2 programs that I actually use under windows after the last month of getting linux in and smoothing out the edges to my liking, which are Starcraft 2 and adobe CS5.

Im sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your linux setup as it should run oodles smoother than windows does especially at those system specs.

PS. the one month time frame I mentioned has nothing to do wtih functionality, it comes from the fact that I wanted to try 4-5 distros before fine tuning any of them. I have very specific user requirements for my working environments. I had openSuse installed and configured in about an hour with about another 30-40 mins of updating a few things, followed by days and days of toying around with the various compiz enhancements and window managment behaviors the way that I like them. However, after the first hour and a half it was running beautifully.

My friends computer was EXTREMELY slow, and he wasn't doing anything but surfing the web so I put ubuntu 10.1 on it, boot was faster, browsing was simpler, better UI, and everything was altogether faster. I find it great for laptops.

Yes but your talking ubuntu 10.1 not 11.04 which uses an extremely fancified compiz enhanced desktop by default. beyond that it is brand new and hasn't been fully debugged yet.

Had great experience with Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo, and Arch on various thinkpad models... Configuration is key. Many distros pitch that they are easy and user friendly, but often times they take some tweaking to play nice with your particular system.

The problem here is that many people try to pitch linux as "it just works on everything". It pretty much does, but there is a lot of polish that isn't there for people accustomed to only using windows. You often actually have to straighten out little glitches, and find what works best on your configuration.

Once you get the little details ironed out in the config, I've always been more satisfied with my linux installs than running daily windows installs. Part of that was because the setup and configuration was actually mine.

Had great experience with Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo, and Arch on various thinkpad models...

+1 for Mint; worked great with a default install on my laptop (dell). I chose mint because it has most of the multimedia stuff you would expect on a laptop, in the base install. Video players, dvd players, mp3 players, audio and headphone support, everything worked.

I actually dual booted xp, no problems. Just install xp first.

//Haven't tried any new releases in a year or so.

I really find nothing wrong with Ubuntu 11.04 running on this netbook. Yes, some things run a little slower than I'd like, but performance is acceptable. Even battery life is good enough for me as is. The speaker issue I really don't care about either since I always use headphones, although this Eee PC has very high quality speakers for a laptop (compared to my full sized Dells). The only thing I can't figure out is the :censored::censored::censored::censored: poor Youtube performance.

Forget what I said about 240p running smooth and 360p running almost perfectly smooth. That is only for running it on the web page. In full screen mode even 240p has noticeable choppiness to it. And this is with nothing else running in the background. Right now I'm looking for ways to improve this.

The voltage and clock speed controls available in windows for this laptop is just a bonus really. The only real issue is flash performance right now.

Well that likely has to do with flash player issues. I have tolerably good flash using a dual core laptop with flash in linux but its hardly flawless. Id have to say flash support is probably linux's greatest downfall. There are work arounds if youtube is how you spend a good portion of your time on the internet. Theres actually a youtube plugin floating around someplace that should improve performance.

My laptop has been running Gentoo for a few years now with no issues.

there is a lot of polish that isn't there for people accustomed to only using windows. You often actually have to straighten out little glitches, and find what works best on your configuration.

You can put enough grease and polish on a bent hinge to make it turn, but that doesn't unbend it, and it makes it really hard to get a grip on it with the pliers if you're trying to unbend it. :chair:

to me Ubuntu is going the same route Fedora went, was fast adn great then slowly got bloated and slow and had problems as it tried to be like "windows"

you need to look for "eee" specific linux installs or smaller based installs and your system will fly, currently i am looking for one to dual boot on my 1215n.

there's a fine line between subtle and confusing

He's saying some OSes/distributions come with a bunch of polish and shine to hide their imperfections, but when you find a problem with it you often can't do crap to fix it because its too hard to troubleshoot or you don't have what you need to fix it.

In contrast, running Gentoo, you can fix anything fairly easily if you know what you are doing - its all source code, and since you built the system almost entirely yourself, its easier to track things down and straighten things out.

Been using Fedora on my laptop for well over a year now and have not had an issue where the operating system was to blame. Even though I own a copy of Windows for this machine, I decide that the OS it came with isn't good enough.

It used to be a lot worse, plug and play wise. I remember when getting wireless drivers working was an absolute nightmare. Now, you don't have to do anything.

Mint 9 has no problems with Flash on 4 different computers at my home, since I've been using it, but it does have that bug where the headphone jack doesn't cut off the external speakers.

You can open a terminal and run: Top

That will give you a list of all the processes that may be taking energy and reducing battery life.

But seriously, try Linux Mint, and see if your flash problems don't disappear.

Or, if it's the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, you can add flash and it's repository with this terminal command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flash && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install flashplugin64-installer

I've been able to get flash working fine on Ubuntu and Debian.

It ain't as pretty, but I had good luck running Debian on small (edit: 'older, underpowered') laptops. (After dumping IceWeasel and using Firefox instead.)

Last edited:
Running Linux on this laptop i'm using right now. Never been happier with it.
Linux is the way to go.

I second that Linux Mint suggestion. It is great!

Or, if it's the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, you can add flash and it's repository with this terminal command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flash && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install flashplugin64-installer

That did it! I thought I had already installed the best I could do with flash, but I was wrong. Why Ubuntu's software center wanted to install some crappy version of flash, I don't know. 720p youtube videos now play flawlessly! I'm going to play with Ubuntu for another week before giving some other distros a go.

Now my issue is just trying to crank up the battery life. This seems a bit more daunting though. Lots of work and tons of google search in my future. :(

Last edited:
Disableing desktop effects will save battery faster than anything other than lowering screen brightness. Also if that unit has bluetooth and your not using any BT devices then shut it off also.

Check if cpufreq-utils or similar is installed. Run cpufreq-info. If it doesn't list "conservative" or "powersave" as the governor, you can use cpufreq-set -c0 -gconservative for each core, changing the number after -c (0 and 1 for a dual-core, 0 1 2 and 3 for a quad-core, etc.). The "conservative" option sets the CPU to the lowest possible frequency, then adjusts upwards when the system is loaded, and goes back down when idle. The "powersave" option just keeps it at minimum frequency.

That did it! I thought I had already installed the best I could do with flash, but I was wrong. Why Ubuntu's software center wanted to install some crappy version of flash, I don't know. 720p youtube videos now play flawlessly! I'm going to play with Ubuntu for another week before giving some other distros a go.

Now my issue is just trying to crank up the battery life. This seems a bit more daunting though. Lots of work and tons of google search in my future. :(
The PPAs are for cutting edge stuff. It may or may not work for your needs but has not been tested sufficiently for official inclusion. It's good to hear that you solved the problem.

I've undervolted my Thinkpad T500 and wife's Dell laptop using information I found at http://openmindedbrain.info/09/05/2010/undervolting-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lts/ and http://www.linux-phc.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=8a3fa068db64ea6ac2096f89eb572450.

Back