• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 590 defective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, this is a bios update, and according to the 2nd post in that thread, it does not void the warranty seeing as how it is an official EVGA update.

As EarthDog indicated as long as it's an official EVGA update then it shouldn't hurt the warranty.

But yes you will flash the bios to the updated version. Flashing the bios just means installing a different bios, whether it be a new updated bios or an older one because the new one causes problems.

Just a quick updates guy,

So I tried that firmware update and reinstalled my drivers again just to make sure.

So far I was able to play 1 full multiplayer game of crysis 2. The GPU load was at 90-99% and my GPU temprature was at 70 C rather than the 80 C o_O

BF3 still remains at 99% load the vast majority of time, but the GPU temprature is still at 70 C...gonna keep testing this stuff out and see if anything explodes.

Thanks for the help once again!

It sounds like you're making progress.

It's OK to run your card hard. That's basically what they're made for. They should be stable even at 99% load.

I don't like using the auto fan profile because in my mind, there's no reason to let a chip run at 80-85C if it's not necessary, and it's really not. People will tell you that it won't hurt them, and it probably doesn't since the auto fan profile is set to keep it around 83-85 from the factory, but I still just don't see the point. It could be a scenario that even though your chips are fine temperature wise maybe your memory modules are heating up a bit too much and causing the green dot issue. Maybe turning up the fans will get more air blowing over them and keep them a little cooler. Maybe that isn't a factor at all. You can't know until you try.

What I do is play each game and it doesn't take very long to figure out how hard the game runs your system. I'll then set up profiles in EVGA precision. I have 5 profiles saved. I have one set at Auto fan, then 65% manual, 70% manual, 75% manual, and 80% manual. I know that on my 570's it takes 80% fan to keep them hovering ~70C at 100% load. I usually use that setting for any benchmark or stress testing sessions. I usually use 75% for Crysis and Crysis 2 (it sounds like BF3 will fall into this or even the 80% category). Games like Skyrim and Call of Duty I can get away with running like 65% fan speed. Basically just play your games and learn your card and what fans speeds it takes at what loads to keep it under a certain temperature. If you can keep your card in that 70-75C range without the fans annoying you too bad then you might as well. Long story short, use the manual fan speeds to keep the card at the temperature you want, not what the Auto profile thinks you want.

Did you change the voltage or the memory speeds any? I saw those guys at EVGA recommended that. They were basically having you slow down your memory to see if the overclock wasn't stable, and if it wasn't stable they were going to have you speed it back up and bump the memory up slightly to see if that made it stable at "factory" (Classy is still OC'ed even from factory) settings.

If a simple bios flash fixes the problem and you don't have to mess with voltages or clocks then that's great.

Last edited:
I haven't messed with the voltage yet since I wanted to test each change I made thoroughly, I will give it a try tonight though.

So after the firmware update and at EVGA settings (the slight OC from factory), the games (BF3 and Crysis 2) ran more stable but I still experienced a crash here and there on crysis 2. This is still a major improvement since previously I was completely unable to play a single multiplayer game without it blowing up.

Then I tried downclocking the memory...Was able to play about 6 games or so before I experienced my first crash. Then I downclocked everything back to factory settings was able to play about 10 games straight with no crashing.

So right now things seem to indicate that it is a bad overclock. I'll try tweaking the voltage tonight with the EVGA OC settings and factory defaults and see if anything change.

Yea it sounds as if your card is just not stable with the settings it is set at from the factory. If you can't get it stable then you may just have to RMA the card as bad as it sucks. I suppose a card not being able to be stable anywhere close to where it is suppose to be is reason enough to RMA it.

I'd maybe contact EVGA again and tell them what you're experiencing, what you think the problem is, and what you've tried that shows evidence of that being the problem and see what they say. I have a bad feeling their answer is going to be something along the lines of "get it in the mail".

So final update and conclusion.

At factory defaults, the card is stable, basically, it's a bad overclock. I have even tried messing with the voltage settings and nothing was able to keep the GPU stable at the EVGA settings. But once I revert it to factory default settings, the card works fine.

I appreciate all your help and feedback.

hi everyone i found this thread cause i have a similar problem, this will be lengthy get ready to read....

i have a 590 classified as well. i7 2600 k , 16 gig vengeance, 120gig patriot wildfire ssd, 1200 corsair gold psu, maximus iv extreme, 400 R case, stock fan, no water coolant.

basically bf ran on ultra settings great for a month or so then all a sudden i got some nvidia error and a crash that i had to restart my computer. upon restart i got these goofy green lines on the left side of the screen for any game i played, here is a screenshot...

failurecard.png

so i uninstalled drivers and re-installed drivers and the green lines went away, but now about 20 minutes into every bf3 game the screen crashes. the only exit when crashed is control alt delete and manual close. when i would try to open the game again, the screen would crash black and i couldnt acess task manager to close. I would have to manual reboot and then it would go back to 30 minutes and crash, open again, crash, repeat.

And now this is where i am stuck at. im going to talk to evga customer support tomorow and see what i can do.

Back