• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My Boards USB Dying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Since yesterday my uSB keyboard and mouse has failed to work upon boot up, it's an old Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse with a USB Receiver now normally it that would light up and I know it's working. But it has since failed to power up completely when connected to my PC below.

It's currently working now but I've had to power down by using the 15 sec hold on my casing to do it, then flick the switch to completly on the PSU bare in mind that Corsair PSU is only 2 weeks old. It sometimes will then power up I have also tried another USB keyboard and again the same thing, I seriously hope it's not the case I cannot afford to buy a new motherboard.

And if I did I might as well move up yo AM3 and DDR3 but again I cannot afford to pay for the 2 new parts.

you just replaced the power supply . . . .
your having power issues with a 5V items power on the motherboard itself . . . .
The usb item has been working ok for ages . . . .
now it is acting like a connection is loose ????
AND
your PSU is acting a bit funkey and powering up as if there might be a loose connection exisiting there somewhere?

the first thing i would do:
shut off the computer, switch off the power supply, wait till all power dissapates.
now get back in there, with a good flashlight or something, and check the motherboard wide power connector, is any of it loose? is any single pin item raised or lowered?
if there was nothing obvious yet, remove the connector
give it the stare down for oxidation overheating on the metalic contact areas, see any thing strange?
NO
then do a sluff off , where you slide the connector up and down 2 times to sluff off any oxidation or in extreeme overvoltaging situations carbon. :) do this without tearing the board to shreds of course, and make SURE there is no power on.
then slide the connector back on, make sure its tight.
TEST again.
Still have the problem, check really quick the AC cord , make sure if its one of them removables from the PSu that it is socked down good.
Test
still have the problem?
get a littel USB light or fan from the novelty computer place, test the usb, run the sluff off on it, try and charge your cell phone or something with the USB power (safely) Good power there or not?
Still bad power at USB :-(
then get a voltage meter out and start checking things.

thats what i would do.

If it was the seperated board connected pin-in usb extras i would check those too, make sure they are pinned in well. i suspect that your referring to the main USB items on the back though , because of how desperate you sound about loosing one.

If those Die on my boards here, it wouldnt be a big pannic, because the boards all have the pin-in extras that just need a bracket usb thing , and if you got one USB item , well you can always add in a cheap hub, even cheap hubs usually work.

if you JUST lost the power , then potentially you could still survive with a powered USB hub item, unless the data line is somehow failing also.

Which brings up, when you Reassembled the computer after putting in the power supply is it Possible that you are making metalic contact with the back of the board somewhere? had you changed the board mounting? or bent anything that might be making contact and doing a light weight short on the back of the board somewhere?

Last edited:
Check the usb cable from the kb and make sure you cant feel any pinches or places where there might be a short in the actual cable. I had a client's computer whos bunny rabbit got ahold of the usb printer cable and it had a short and wouldnt print, but the whole system was super slow. So check every usb device and every cable. If possible test them on another machine.

Since you did just replace your psu, do yourself a favor and unplug and replug every power connection in your computer especially the motherboard. If you still have issues, get the handy dandy multimeter out and see what volts are coming off your mobo's usb ports. The mobo could just be crapping which is very unfortunate, but it is possible. I hope it is something easy that you can fix without having to get a new mobo.

Since yesterday my uSB keyboard and mouse has failed to work upon boot up, it's an old Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse with a USB Receiver now normally it that would light up and I know it's working. But it has since failed to power up completely when connected to my PC below.

It's currently working now but I've had to power down by using the 15 sec hold on my casing to do it, then flick the switch to completly on the PSU bare in mind that Corsair PSU is only 2 weeks old. It sometimes will then power up I have also tried another USB keyboard and again the same thing, I seriously hope it's not the case I cannot afford to buy a new motherboard.

And if I did I might as well move up yo AM3 and DDR3 but again I cannot afford to pay for the 2 new parts.
Is the keyboard/mouse unit plugged into a case USB port or one on the back of the motherboard? If it's not plugged directly into the board I'd try that first. Case extension cables are not the most reliable piece of hardware for various reasons ...

Is the keyboard/mouse unit plugged into a case USB port or one on the back of the motherboard? If it's not plugged directly into the board I'd try that first. Case extension cables are not the most reliable piece of hardware for various reasons ...

It's connected directly to the board so far its been alright but I have been experiencing more weird **** with my PC yesterday IE8 locked up and all I saw was graphics corruption on screen. I had Windows Live Mail opening and it had black green and red colours dots kimd like what you get in games or if you push the card to a resolultion it cant do.

I've been getting application hangs yet I have done a Virus scan and spyware scan in normal mode and in safe mode, I have Spyware Blaster updated and working fine. If I right you can find when you installed the op system by going to the Windows Folder and properties it was july 14th 2 months in and I'm getting odd things.

Beofre all this USB transfer were slow as hell moving a 500mb file transfer rates where 2mb/sec at best yet on INTEL machines its fast as hell. On all my AMD rigs I have never had fast USB transfers ever always been slow.

Shot in the dark and not related to the power/usb issues, but more the transfer rates. I'm on older stuff so this may be a moot point, but have you enabled USB 2.0 (or 3.0 if it's new enough) in BIOS? Or is this an option that was only on older (Socket A) boards? I know with my old build, a socket A system with an ASUS uhhh, something A7VNX or something like that (hehe), that USB 1.1 was the only thing enabled by default, leading to super slow transfers. 2.0 was a BIOS option.

With my current build, this MOBO, without a BIOS update (a beta one at that) won't work with High Speed (2.0) USB devices, and in facted corrupted one of my USB flash drives because of that. Might look into checking about USB 2.0 (or 3.0) being enabled.

I had this happen on an Old HP computer. The USB bus eventually died, and then the chipset followed the next day. The chipset might just be dying a slow death.

If possible try a different keyboard and mouse to rule out your Logitech one causing ALL of your issues. I've seen bad peripherals cause all kinds of weird issues.

USB renegotiates to 1.1 when it fails at 2.0
sometimes a way to fix that, is to toss out the USB item in device manager, then have it reinstall which will renegotiate at the faster speed if it can.
in this case it is harder to do that, when you rely on it for the input device.

If nothing else a lot of BIOS's have a Legacy USB option, which can be disabled, (probably) without effecting your keyboard/mouse.

Many also have the 1.1/2.0 option as well ...

If nothing else a lot of BIOS's have a Legacy USB option, which can be disabled, (probably) without effecting your keyboard/mouse.

Many also have the 1.1/2.0 option as well ...

I did disable the Legacy option and transfers rose upto 4/6mb per sec I will do a reset of the BIOS and start from scratch maybe I have enabled a feature thats causing me to have slow issues.

Back