• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my cooler sufficient for this cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I need some links to back this up. I thought it was 2 full x86 cores sharing cache per module? :shrug:

So the partial is the shared FPU and L2 cache. There was a scheduler patch to Windows 7 (built in for 8 and beyond) that loaded the modules properly for better performance) due to 2 cores accessing the same floating point unit and causing performance issues. The KB patch for win 7 essentially treats every second core as a hyperthreading core to alleviate the issue. Ultimately, in FPU computation it is a quad core, yet in integer computation it is an 8 core. Therefore, from an AMD to Intel comparison, it is best to compare FX modules to cores, yet realize that the module design is able to do more than hyperthreading can, but Intel has a significant IPC advantage that hides this.

Regardless of the math, Intel whoops AMD's *ahem* back ends in every game. More physical, hyper threading, what ever. Intel rules the roost these days. The fact that you can get Intel around the same price should be an even further reason to get it. The only reason I still recommend AMD is simple. Some people are AMD die hards and will never buy Intel. There's nothing wrong with that as they are both capable and from a gaming stand point the differences are negligble to un-noticable depending on the platform. Junt my 2c.

I still believe a single better GPU will serve you better for longer than 2 lesser cards.

That's a nice set-up Mandrake. It's actually got me thinking about my own office.

hmmmm emot.jpg

So the partial is the shared FPU and L2 cache. There was a scheduler patch to Windows 7 (built in for 8 and beyond) that loaded the modules properly for better performance) due to 2 cores accessing the same floating point unit and causing performance issues. The KB patch for win 7 essentially treats every second core as a hyperthreading core to alleviate the issue. Ultimately, in FPU computation it is a quad core, yet in integer computation it is an 8 core. Therefore, from an AMD to Intel comparison, it is best to compare FX modules to cores, yet realize that the module design is able to do more than hyperthreading can, but Intel has a significant IPC advantage that hides this.

Aside from software patches, I meant physically. The AMD 8 core processor has 8 fully functional x86 cores. In the diagram they are listed as integer clusters. They are physically the exact same size and carry roughly 150,000,000 (150 million) transistors each. These transistors (in a cluster if you will) are what you would call a "core". Each core or cluster if we must, has all it's own L1 cache. That's how you know it's an individual.

To further back my statements (from the wiki you kindly provided me) ->

each "module" as two logical cores.

One of the main problems with the FX is the low transistor count per cluster (or core). Another is the slower L2 and L3 cache. Both of these are a main focus on the upcoming ZEN processor. Adding transistor count and faster L2 and L3 cache.

It doesn't matter how it was designed really. typically when you go smaller, the transistor count goes up not down.

Many people argue transistor count doesn't matter, but if you look at previous AMD processors, there's a considerable loss in transistor count.

Some of these transistors handle HT, NB and PCI-E communications and thus aren't being used in actual processing a main thread. They (some transistors) must be dedicated to other things.

Instruction sets are an entire different ball game. You can write really good instructions and have better scheduler, but it doesn't take away from the fact that even though the Module is supposed to act as a single unit, it simply cannot because physically the x86 clusters are two separate entities. So you can't split processing of one thread over 2 cores. It works more like Core 0 will process part of thread A, then see usage go to core 3. It's still the same thread, but not simultaneously computed.

When this Bulldozer was released and I had read about the transistor count "per core or cluster", I had wondered why they didn't just make bigger single cores. Well it so happened that the design was based off way old technology that was already tried once, but with a few different twists considering the technology is different so many years later. I believe it was DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) that had tried this approach many years ago with a similar design. It wasn't the greatest, but it worked.

The architecture defined a set of 32 integer registers and a set of 32 floating-point registers in addition to a program counter, two lock registers and a floating-point control register (FPCR). It also defined registers that were optional, implemented only if the implementation required them. Lastly, registers for PALcode were defined.

The integer registers were denoted by R0 to R31 and floating-point registers were denoted by F0 to F31. The R31 and F31 registers were hardwired to zero and writes to those registers by instructions are ignored. Digital considered using a combined register file, but a split register file was determined to be better as it enabled two-chip implementations to have a register file located on each chip and integer-only implementations to omit the floating-point register file containing the floating point registers. A split register file was also determined to be more suitable for multiple instruction issue due to the reduced number of read and write ports. The number of registers per register file was also considered, with 32 and 64 being contenders. Digital concluded that 32 registers was more suitable as it required less die space, which improved clock frequencies. This number of registers was deemed not to be a major issue in respect to performance and future growth, as thirty-two registers could support at least eight-way instruction issue.

And sorry for taking away from the original posting -

About that....

is my cooler sufficient for this cpu?

This would all depend on a lot of variables. One mainly speaking in an overclocking forum of what goals and expectations for clocks speeds are.

If your looking for 5ghz and 1.5250v.... Better find a custom loop. FX-9590 is just hot plain and simple.

Looking to cool FX-8320e at 5ghz and 1.4880v..... May still want to consider a custom water loop. FX processors just start getting hot above 1.4560v give or take depending on ambient temps, mounting pressure, type of thermal paste used ect. ect. ect. ect......

http://www.digital.com/

Attachments

• Digital-Alpha-Chip__1297784305_4420.jpg
    Digital-Alpha-Chip__1297784305_4420.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
And sorry for taking away from the original posting -

About that....

This would all depend on a lot of variables. One mainly speaking in an overclocking forum of what goals and expectations for clocks speeds are.

If your looking for 5ghz and 1.5250v.... Better find a custom loop. FX-9590 is just hot plain and simple.

Looking to cool FX-8320e at 5ghz and 1.4880v..... May still want to consider a custom water loop. FX processors just start getting hot above 1.4560v give or take depending on ambient temps, mounting pressure, type of thermal paste used ect. ect. ect. ect......

Shrimp, I took our discussion to PMs to stop the thread craping :D

OP, Shrimp does have some very good points. I have an 8320e, running at 1.416v on the vcore, at 4.5ghz. My max temp under 2 hours of stress testing is 60C. That is a merely 12C under AMD's limits for stock. All this is on a Corsair H80 AIO water cooler. I really don't have all that much room to play with if you consider the fact that I have ambient temps that vary with the Sun and seasons (yay no AC and single pane windows in this basement my office is in, oh, and the windows are south facing, and I live in the northern hemisphere...). These FX CPUs get quite warm, quite quick, and face-punch a motherboard's VRM section (which is also going to build up some heat quickly) at the same time.

^^Everything pretty well summed up by the "senior" members...
Get an Intel platform if gaming is the purpose of this computer.
Even a 2500K slashes a FX gaming wise.

Well it is official i jut bought the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for $167. now which cpu to buy hmm........ its either out of fX8370 or the fX9590 the only reason why i am hesitant about the 9590 is because i really dont want have to buy a whole other/new aio water cooler. especially since i am buying another gtX760 to put into sli. with that and the ram i am looking at close to or at 500$ plus a new quality AIO cooler will be another 150-200 dollars so i am a little hesitant right now.
RUBEN

Congrats on your new space heater!

Where is EarthDog? This is where he'd usually chime in with something about a horse and water? ;)

Well it is official i jut bought the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for $167. now which cpu to buy hmm........ its either out of fX8370 or the fX9590 the only reason why i am hesitant about the 9590 is because i really dont want have to buy a whole other/new aio water cooler. especially since i am buying another gtX760 to put into sli. with that and the ram i am looking at close to or at 500$ plus a new quality AIO cooler will be another 150-200 dollars so i am a little hesitant right now.
RUBEN

There is a very big difference in clock speeds between the 8370 and the 9590. The 9590 at 4.7ghz will game quite well.

But you want more mhz and overclock the 8370 to 4.7ghz.... Then your running a FX-9590 any ways. But risk instability from the overclock vs just a little heat issue.

Honestly the FX-9590 isn't HOT until you stress test it with a full load. Mine runs about 1.4250v on average while fully loaded, so not super hot, but wouldn't rely on any AIO cooler for some extended period of time.

However, As the top dogs would recommend a stress test to run 4.7ghz with an overclocked 8370 to ensure stability. Again, I wouldn't trust any AIO for some extended period of time.

So, the FX-9590 is binned stable at 4.7ghz and does not require any type of testing, therefor you are not required to do some loading for hours and hours to ensure some type of stability.

Your decision should be based on what clock speeds you can settle with. I can tell you gaming at 4.5ghz vs 4.7ghz, there is no super large gains. You could save moneys with the FX-8370 here but would be required to overclock, Test that overclock for a few hours and hope for stability. It's likely to be stable if you have settings just right and that's ok, but then you void your hardware and can't expect any promises from me or any other overclocking forum member as their systems will differ from yours.

It's funny to watch people overclock and try and hit 4.7ghz though. Spending hours "tweaking" and hours of stability "testing" while all that time I was gaming on a stock FX-9590 without care or need for all that.

FX-9590 PROS and CONS -

Pros - Fast from the box, no testing required.
- Has 5ghz turbo boost
- Fastest binned chip holds value longest
- All other chips below it seem rather slow in comparison stock vs stock

Cons -
- Has ability to heat soak a water loop
- Expensive

I'd say go for the FX-9590, but my only fear is your ability to cool the gosh darn thing. But I will say any chip running 4.7 - 5.0ghz can run hot. It's a game of give and take. Give more voltage, take away OC headroom via temps. Give more rads and reservoir, take away that heat problem.

90% of people will say go with the FX-8370 because you currently have the ability to cool it with at least some overclock.

I do want to add a little note here though.

The FX-9590 let's say it's running bone stock auto all. If the cpu temp reaches 65c it will throttle to the first P-state of 4.5ghz which is about the norm for an AIO cooler's ability on an overclocked FX-8xxx.

It's a tough call. I've OCed the 8320, 8350, 6300 and 4300 series processors. The best bang for my buck is actually the FX-9590.

At newegg the 8370 lists for 194$. The FX-9590 is 229$. 35$ more gets you 700mhz base clock and another 300mhz turbo.

Your moneys, spend them wisely!!

Indeed. If I could've afforded your setup, with an FX-9590, I would've bought it in a heartbeat. That being said, for roughly $230 out the door (mobo and CPU) I am quite content with my system. If I can get my hand on some better cooling (looking at that Ninja air cooler that was on the front page) and a new case to match, O am hoping to hit 4.7 on a good day.

FTR I still believe a 6 core is all you need for gaming and dump every penny you can on the GPU. That is however beginning to change as a few of the newer titles are utilizing multiple cores better.

well I WENT AHEAD AND and Purchased THE 9590 NOW I WILL TELL U WHY I BOUGHT THIS CPU BECAUSE THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE WAS LIKE 10$ between the 2 so i said oh what the heck i minus as well buy the 9590. plus i have read a ton of posts about people running this cpu on air cooling so if i had to absolutely say id say im going to be more than ok especially since i have a bench test as my rigs case so doubt if the temp is ever going to get that bad PLUS i can always buy better AIO Cooler on down the road, but boy am i happy cant wait to get my new parts. now it just about the hurry up and wait game,
THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP GUYS AND GALS
RUBEN
P.S. i went ahead and bought 16gb of pc3-14900 and my mobo i bought from amazon brand new, the cpu and ram from newegg $168+$301=$469 not to bad when considering all are brand spanking new and of the best quality.

Congrats on the purchases Ruben. Keep her cool and it'll be everything you'll ever want for years to come.

plus i have read a ton of posts about people running this cpu on air cooling

I can tell you from personally trying to air cool a stock FX-9590..... It can't be done. Well it can, but it'll throttle really badly.

Good on the purchase. I suggest you find a liquid cooling system with a 240 rad at minimum and double up on rad fans.

In sig inside the TJ07 case are two 120.2 rads. It's almost not enough.

I wish you good luck!!

In case you'd like a read.

Should shed a little light on FX-9590

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

Back