• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Enermax 350w strong enough for a 8800GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delman

I was wondering if my power supply was strong enough. It is only 350 watts but it is really strong and made By Enermax. Its rails are as follows
3.3V 5V 12V
32A 32A 26A

I am wanting to run a system with an Intel e6400, ABIT AB9 Pro , 2x1gb of pc6400, 2 80-160GB hard drives, 1 18X DVD burner, and a 8800GTS. I see the sytem requirements are 26 amps on evga's site. That is the card I have now. I just want to use it to get by for a couple months without overclocking. I am just wanting to know so that I can save up and then get a better PSU since I don't really want to get a cheap one after my first cheap one.

Last edited:
I'm confused, how does a 350W PSU have 3.3v:32A, 5v:32A, 12v:26A rails?

Using this wattage calculator it says that the PSU should be rated for about 575W

I'm confused and need one of those PSU/electricity aficionados to help me understand.

I'd say if you aren't overclocking the CPU or GPU, that PSU would probably be fine.

Well here is an image of it. i don't really understand since it adds up over what it is rated. Could someone explain that.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 237
sephiroth_749 said:
...8800 takes around 30amps on the 12 plus the other stuff that is on the same rail.
I guess you're joking, right?
8800GTX in full-load in DX9 at stock speeds needs ~12A from +12V. An GTS much less.

burebista said:
I guess you're joking, right?
8800GTX in full-load in DX9 at stock speeds needs ~12A from +12V. An GTS much less.

I think what he meant is that Nvidia recommends that you have a PSU with a 30A+ 12v rail TOTAL. Not that the GPU itself would consume that much, but that is recommended for the total system including an 8800GPU

Actually it won't run the setup to be built. That psu is atx v1.2 while new boards/cpu require atx 2.01 at a bare min. You need the 24pin atx and the 4pin for the cpu.

Myrdhinn said:
Actually it won't run the setup to be built. That psu is atx v1.2 while new boards/cpu require atx 2.01 at a bare min. You need the 24pin atx and the 4pin for the cpu.

I think that PSU actually has a 20+4 PIN connector. It doesn't have PCIe connectors, so adapters would have to be used.

jivetrky said:
I think what he meant is that Nvidia recommends that you have a PSU with a 30A+ 12v rail TOTAL. Not that the GPU itself would consume that much, but that is recommended for the total system including an 8800GPU

i didnt know that was for the whole system i thought that was just for the card itself

Back