• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build: Is a single 360 rad enough for CPU+GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeb101

Usual, long time lurker, first time poster, and finally getting a system, and ready to get in the OC / Water cooling scene!

So I ordered a slim 27.5mm 360mm rad, DDC 3.25 PWM pump / Res combo, and was planning on cooling both my OC'd CPU, as well as a mildly OC'd GPU. Will this be enough?? Here are the specs

Build:

- Asus Deluxe X99 Deluxe II
- i7 5820k
- Sapphire R9 280x Dual-X OC (upgrading soon)
- 4x8GB G.Skill RipJaw 4
- HX860i PSU
- Evolv ATX Glass Silver

Loop:

- DazMode 27.5mm 360mm Rad
- 3x Gentle Typhoon fans
- 300mm res with DDC 3.25 PWM
- HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ Core 60 DIY (GPU + VRM)
- HEATKILLER® IV CPU block

What do you guys think? Would this be enough for me to OC the CPU to 1.3V @ whatever it's stable + GPU with OC to whatever the locked voltages allow?

I'm dreaming of a 30c-35c loop, but I can't see it happening with a single rad?

Bonus question, as I am new to this, I read that once the loop gets above 40-50c I should start looking into additional cooling as it can create leaks?

Thanks!
JEB

You won't have great temps...nor will it be very quiet. That is 375W at stock to cool.. overclocked, you are looking at 450W. We tend to say around 100W per 120mm rad for good temps and quiet operation.

You won't have great temps...nor will it be very quiet. That is 375W at stock to cool.. overclocked, you are looking at 450W. We tend to say around 100W per 120mm rad for good temps and quiet operation.

Thanks EarthDog, I had a feeling it was going to be the case. I'll see if I can't squeeze in an extra 240mm rad in there, just tends to add up quick, esp on the first build and starting from scratch. Up here I'm looking at ~150 for a rad and two fans.

Might just do it though, might as well do it right.

Cheers!

The more heat surface, the quieter and better delta temps your loop will have. All depends what ambient temps you get because that will be used to cool your liquid down. I get 30c-40c at the most on water temps. All comes down to room temp, amount of heat surface and speed of fans to dissipate the heat from the rads and of course assuming the flow rate is anywhere in the 1.0-1.5 GPM range.

Post some images at us as well.

There was an article some time ago (can't remember where I saw it), but with a large, high efficiency radiator (80mm I think) and high efficiency fans in a push/pull running at 100% on a 360mm radiator, they were able to cool up to 500w within a set Delta. So, it's possible to get away with a single 360mm radiator, but it would probably be cheaper to add in a second 240mm radiator if you have the space. Not to mention, 6 fans running at 100% is going to be very noisy.
Do you already have a case? If not, maybe see what's out there with space for a 480mm radiator instead of the 360mm?

Post some images at us as well.

I will! The parts are coming in throughout next week, so I'll be putting a build log soon!

Do you already have a case? If not, maybe see what's out there with space for a 480mm radiator instead of the 360mm?

The case is already ordered (evolv atx glass) and the first rad is already on the way (360mm). I believe I can fit a top 240 mm, so I'll see what my impulses bring..

Cheers

Sorry for spamming guys, I can't edit my post.. If I were to throw a top 240mm rad on top, for ease of setup a cross flow rad would be easiest to install, but is it ideal? I know it's better than the single 360, but I was looking at the Darkside 240mm cross-flow.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back