• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my fan setup condusive to good airflow and cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aquitain3

Registered
I have a noctua 92mm on the back. On the top are two 140mm.

The 92mm is right behind the heatsink fan and I am wondering if the fact that they are so close is having a bad effect on the airflow. Is the back fan even pulling hot air? It doesn't feel like it to me when I stick my hand back there...

One thing that might corroborate this assumption is that the rear top 140 seems to move most of the hot air up and out rather than there being hot air coming out of the back of the case.

the zalman is bad fyi but its what i have for now.

1iGL71T.jpg

I appreciate any feedback and advice.

ok thanks people!

i know it is set up correctly but when you see how little hot air the back fan is moving it makes me wonder. A lot of pressure between the 2 fans seems to be moving no air

Yes I am! :) You can PM me about it if you have any questions, just to keep the thread on topic about airflow.

I have a noctua 92mm on the back. On the top are two 140mm.

The 92mm is right behind the heatsink fan and I am wondering if the fact that they are so close is having a bad effect on the airflow. Is the back fan even pulling hot air? It doesn't feel like it to me when I stick my hand back there...

One thing that might corroborate this assumption is that the rear top 140 seems to move most of the hot air up and out rather than there being hot air coming out of the back of the case.

the zalman is bad fyi but its what i have for now.

I appreciate any feedback and advice.

I like that setup, I think it's great that the 140mm fop fan is extracting air right from
the top of the CPU heatsink.

I've read that for heatpipe coolers having the heatpipes oriented parallel to the ground
is the second best possible configuration (rather than having one set of heatpipes above the other). In your case that would have the exhaust of the zalman going straight up into the top 140mm fan. You might want to try that out if it'll work. If I had that option w/my thermalright Archon SB-E I would've tried it.

What do you have for intakes?

Edit: Assuming you have a CNPS9500 or CNPS9700 I believe the fan pushes air into the cooler. That being the case you are pulling air from the back of your case... directly in front of your rear exhaust fan??

Last edited:
What do you have for intakes?

Edit: Assuming you have a CNPS9500 or CNPS9700 I believe the fan pushes air into the cooler. That being the case you are pulling air from the back of your case... directly in front of your rear exhaust fan??

Can you confirm this?
Thank you.

Your CPU cooler is mounted backwards.

Mount it the other way around so that the fan pushes the warm air from the CPU cooler fins towards the rear of the case and you would likely get better temperatures. Right now it is pushing air towards the front of the case rather than the back.

I own one of these coolers, so I know how they work.

Well thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your specific insight about my zalman heatsink.
I am going to toss the good ol' noctua back in there but will be sure to mount it correctly in my media center PC when I swap them out this week.

Thank you so much!

SOLVED

Back