• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my graphics card defective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DirectPuse

Ever since i got my graphics card my computer has been crashing, "Blue Screen". My screen goes black and makes a errr sound when i play games for 5 minutes. Is it a possible driver issue? I took the Graphics card out and i haven't crashed since. My card is a GTX 970.
The error report is-
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80096004E0
BCP2: FFFFF88004FCDF38
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\021615-5350-01.dmp
C:\Users\Billy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-13306-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft....88&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Could use some additional info:

Motherboard / CPU / RAM / PSU

Age of PSU and motherboard.

Some things to check:

Run Memtest (I prefer the bootable myself, not the Windows version, free) - possible RAM issue (can be RAM chip mounting, sometimes removing RAM and re-seating it fixes that).

Yes, you could have a RAM problem and the issue doesn't appear under certain circumstances...can be quite odd sometimes.

Check if your board has a power connector for PCI power (other than the power cord going to the GPU card) - and reseat that connector.

Could be a driver issue, what driver are you running? Downloaded from the web, or from the disk?

PSU could be aging. After 3 or 4 years, depending on the model, they can consume their capacitors. The difference in power demand could be bringing the PSU to it's knees (why we need PSU info).

Could use some additional info:

Motherboard / CPU / RAM / PSU

Age of PSU and motherboard.

Some things to check:

Run Memtest (I prefer the bootable myself, not the Windows version, free) - possible RAM issue (can be RAM chip mounting, sometimes removing RAM and re-seating it fixes that).

Yes, you could have a RAM problem and the issue doesn't appear under certain circumstances...can be quite odd sometimes.

Check if your board has a power connector for PCI power (other than the power cord going to the GPU card) - and reseat that connector.

Could be a driver issue, what driver are you running? Downloaded from the web, or from the disk?

PSU could be aging. After 3 or 4 years, depending on the model, they can consume their capacitors. The difference in power demand could be bringing the PSU to it's knees (why we need PSU info).
i5 4690k*
Msi Z-87 (forgot the numbers/letters)*
8GB of HyperX ram
500w EVGA powersupply*
MSI GTX 970 *

I built my pc right after thanksgiving(the one that just happened)
And im running the new driver from nividias website.
I ran the memory test yesterday and there was no error. It sent me back to my desktop and nothing came up

Then age of the PSU isn't a reason for question. EVGA doesn't make their own, but their OEM's are usually top notch. I'm guessing but it sounds like you're running maybe 375 watts at most, well within the limit that should bring suspicion of power, as long as power connections are verified.

Roll back to older driver versions. The newest aren't always the best idea, particularly in GPU's. We have seen several times, going back many years, where older drivers were the best choice, and newer ones brought problems.

Are you overclocking? If so, try stock to see if behavior changes.

Sorry to split hairs like I do, but, he is MUCH closer to 300W if not less. As mentioned in the other discussion we had regarding power supplies, a 4790K and 970 peaked at 300W during gaming (with an already highly overclocked 970). With pushing things on the GPU to an 'average' overclocked, I peaked at 320W...at the wall. So actual use was into the 280W range. So, yes, I agree the PSU shouldn't have anything to do with it. LOL!

/now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :)

I don't mind splitting hairs, so I'll split this one again :D. I stopped from pointing this out in our previous exchange on the topic, but there's a method to my madness.

I doubt much of this is new to you, but I detail it just in case other readers are curious, and so you can see why I calculate values as I do for power supplies.

Voltage and wattage meters are averaging over time. Only a scope can provide a time sensitive view of fast peaks, and even then only within it's frequency limits. The transformers and capacitors within the power supply are also going to smooth out load peaks at the wall, and within the machine the many layers of voltage regulation will do the same.

When determining margins for safety or durability, average voltage, current or power requirements should be combined, as a range, with peak demands, which can be very short but repetative in computer equipment. In electronic design, absolute voltage peak is paramount when selecting capacitors, which is why you won't find 12v capacitors serving on a 12v line. For power, absolute peak isn't quite as important if the durations are short.

However, if one measures 10 amps of current on a 12 v circuit with a standard meter, that could be an average from a high frequency range which dips as low as 5 amps and peaks as high as 15 amps. That would be presented like white noise (in the Mhz range at he PSU most likely), such that the 15 amp peak figure is happening throughout operation, not just on rare occasions. This is similar to how PCM works on voltage for output, the reverse is working to average out current demand.

The same, of course, applies to power. If I'm evaluating a demand which when adding up the stated requirement of the equipment comes to, say, 400 watts, but I measure only 300 watts of consumption, I can assume the equipment is more efficient than the manufacturers have stated. Yet, if I grab a scope and watch in the region of frequencies at which the equipment operates (Mhz range for most of the intermediate VRM's in these systems), I'll note significant fluctuations in demand during what appears to be constant high performance operation. I'd expect the peaks of this white noise like variation to be in the vicinity of the stated aggregate, but I would expect my observation with a meter to be much lower.

At the wall there would be a significant averaging, such that if I placed a scope there I wouldn't see much of this Mhz range white noise style demand fluctuation, because that wouldn't work it's way backwards through the coils and capacitors of the power supply (let alone the switching sytem). Yet, for power requirements it's going to be the output stages of the power supply which experience high speed demand variations.

Now, yes, we're really splitting hairs here :p. Most good units are designed to handle peak demands well above their stated limits, so a 500w PSU in good shape should withstand an average 500w power load with noise peaks toward the 600 w vicinity. I wouldn't want to design a black box circuit with such an arrangement, but it would probably work ok.

Effeciency, overall, of the PSU would tend to work toward the average load than the peak load of a noisy demand like computers present, but heat generation and stress on the capacitors don't. They get worked hard in very short time scales. Power loads which oscillate current work capacitors heavily, and in that sense the peak load is a little more important for longevity than the average. The capacitors are, after all, the electronic shock absorber when used in that role.

This is why I don't work with average power when determining what limits could be problematic, and why I inquired.

If the PSU were 3 years old, and the power measured at the wall were 400 watts, the PSU was rated 500...the PSU could be a problem. Even though the demand on the PSU would be 360 watts, which should be fine, peaks could be hitting 450, and if the unit were aged enough that caps are near 50% of their ratings, PSU noise could destabilize the machine. You can see this on a scope, but not with a standard meter, and even with a scope not at the wall.

Of course, for the OP, there isn't a chance there's a problem. Average power demand is probably 285 watts of the devices, peaks are at a maximum of 375. The PSU would have to be old, and electronically noisy no matter what the load, to be the issue.

To hair splitters everywhere, :salute:

Transient Response is the term I think you are searching for there. I am part of the choir you are preaching to, yep. Being its so much of a non issue, I didn't break it down to the dissertation level. A kill a watt meter measures in seconds so it is likely to miss such things, no doubt. But again, being a non issue, it wasn't worth bringing it up (to me) outside of correcting the power use value mentioned. Most don't understand that it is a peak transient response so they look at that value of 375W and be shocked considering their CPU is 84 and the GPU 150W (both running at 100% mind you).

You have to remember the audience too. :)

Jason, nicely written, even understandable by layman such as myself. This might not be really the point of the thread, but since all things are powered by the PSU, all problems start there. If you have a 500w PSU and it's only 80% efficient, that means you are only rated at 400w system power, granted buffers are employed by companies as you stated in your comment above so it could probably handle closer to 500w for short durations. I doubt his PSU is the problem, it's closer than I would be comfortable with, but within margins to be good to go. I'd hazard to say there might be a problem with the MSI software and Nvidia drivers, doubtful, I've always known Nvidia to be on top of things, Don't have much exp with MSI though, there might be an issue with there software, if your using it.

If you have a 500w PSU and it's only 80% efficient, that means you are only rated at 400w system power,
Actually, its taken the opposite way.. from the wall. If a 90% efficient PSU can output 500W on the 12v rail, it will take 550W from the wall. It does NOT take away from its rating. :)

Really? My cpu, (this is from the corsair software that displays the info) reads that I am taking from the wall 700w and supplying 630ish to the system under loads, it fluctuates and as Jason said this is an average, probably spikes higher. But the rating is 860 according to the what I read about the PSU, but I thought this was only 860 from the wall it could take and would only produce 770ish to the PC? So did ai read something wrong about my PSU and it is rated at 860 to the components and roughly 1k from the wall (meaning my 900w UPS is grossly under powered)?

Really? My cpu, (this is from the corsair software that displays the info) reads that I am taking from the wall 700w and supplying 630ish to the system under loads, it fluctuates and as Jason said this is an average, probably spikes higher. But the rating is 860 according to the what I read about the PSU, but I thought this was only 860 from the wall it could take and would only produce 770ish to the PC? So did ai read something wrong about my PSU and it is rated at 860 to the components and roughly 1k from the wall (meaning my 900w UPS is grossly under powered)?

Well....yeah...If you have a 750, and the equipment it's running drew 750 watts, at 90% efficienty I'd expect to see 833 watts consumed. The PSU would be consuming about 10% of the incoming, but it's rated to provide 750 at it's outputs. It's not limited to drawing 750 from the wall.

My whole theory of thought is that if I see 400 drawn from the wall, and expect that means my devices are drawing 360 from the 12v/5v output of the PSU, that represents an average power drain, and I'd expect peaks to exceed 360, perhaps as high as 425 to 450, with dips as low as 100.

That means, to me, that I don't want to say that a 500 is sufficient. It would work, but in many years as the thing ages, it could become noisy at those higher peaks and cause problems (like 4 years, some would be 3).

Really. :)

Your PSU is good for ~860W on the 12v rail. If you were pulling that much, you would be pulling ~946W from the wall. But your actual load on the PSU is 860W.

I would imagine a 900W UPS is plenty for your system...

I run a 295x2 (2 290x) and an overclocked Intel hex core on my 750W PSU. At stock GPU its happy. When I benchmark on it, I pull over its rating. Not a good idea, and I have only benched on it once or twice, but the platform my EVGA Supernova G2 is built off of is solid so I don't have any worries for the couple of times I did it.

Anyway... back on topic. :)

Thanks for the good news though, I've been specing PSUs' wrong for years now, lol.

Sorry, wasn't tryin to jack the thread.

Back