• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my OLD PC really "old" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hello I've bought my PC around 5 years agoo. I wanted to buy a new one, but i just doubt, is he really old?

Here is the specyfication:

Processor:
AMD Phneom II x4 945

Graphic Card:
Gigabyte Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5

MotherBoard:
Asus M4A785TD-M EVO

Hard drive:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS

RAM:
GoodRam 2x2GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CL 10

My Majority for this year was getting new PC, but:

RAM: I've noticed DDR4 has been realsed, and i doubt if i will get DDR3 2000+ Mhz - will it be worth? Or better wait 1 year more when DDR4 will be better/cheaper

G. Card: Ofcourse my Graphic Card also suck, but i just noticed in few months AMD is going to give us new Graphics so maybe its worth to wait?

Processor's: Well here i ddin;t heard that smth new is going to come this/or next year, so i think it dosent bother me much, if im wrong please correct me

SSD Drive- well they are already cheap, price is around 1,5$=1GB but still im wondering [because i have no clue] if is there something new incomming.

I am thinking just to upgrade my old pc alittle bit, with SSD+some RAM's, then wait till next year, but im wonder if this is correct way.

Waiting for ideas/comments.

PS: Forgive me for my lack of english language :eh?:

Old depends on you and your uses. If it works for you and your needs.

As far as upgrading, an SSD will be a great improvement, even if it is limited to SATA2 speeds.

As far as ram, I wouldn't upgrade when you may move to a different platform. Only if you are filling that ram up and are noticing hitching because of it, would I look for more.

There is always something new around the corner... if you wait, something else will be coming out... If you are ready and have a need, I say go for it.

Well about RAM:
2x2GB is jsut not enough these days, its just to low.

This is why i was thinking about these 2 upgrades

It depends on your uses for that to be, 'too low'. If you are using it all, then getting more would be helpful. But is it worth it to buy more DDR3 when you are going to jump to DDR4?

Well getting even 2 GB DDR3 isnt so expensive and it can imrpove alot i think, now when i run games im at 4gb's of memory:{

but u said SSD will help me a lot, of course i wont argue cuz ure right, but 2 questions:

The SATA2/3 plug in are the same, and u said SATA2 wont use 100% of his speed.
MY quesiton is: is there something new incomming htis year about SSD's, like new ultra technology- im asking because im behind

If you are maxing out your memory, getting more will help along with an SSD.

Nothing groundbreaking enough for you to wait for it. TO use the newest tech, you need a new board. Just grab a standard 2.5" SSD and don't worry about m.2 stuff now.

Get an SSD and your rig will feel like it is brand new. Unless you are playing games or using applications where your GPU And RAM aren't sufficient, I'd wait on upgrading everything else until you're ready to build something new from the ground up.

About SSD:
I noticed most of SSD diskis are using SATA III,like EarthDog already said.

But i jsut found some informations about PCI-express SSD disks, only prices are incredible o_O

Don't worry about that. Even at SATA2 speeds, you won't be disappointed. Plus, when you get ready to upgrade your entire rig, you can re-use your SSD and take advantage of SATA3.

get the ssd, sata 2 sata 3 who cares, if you have an hdd now it'll fell like it boots like a rocket to you.
ram, just take it to 8 gigs, faster you will never notice, and I think the imc of that processor limits you to 1600 anyway.
m2 sata, pass on it till your ready to upgrade the whole rig, and even then I'd pass.

MY processor cooperate only with 1333 DDR 3, but Motherboard is able to work with 1800[oc] DDR3, so if i put 1600 Mhz i should be okey, or not really?
If my CPU dont work with more than 1333, i have to buy +2Gbs of 1333mhz?

about SSD:
I noticed there are plenty of big companys selling them
in most of the TESTS the TOP's are: [256GB]

Samsung 840 pro
Plextor M6 pro
Crucial M550

Is here anyone doing tests on SSD's also by itself?

Plenty do SSD tests... You can google "name of SSD, review"

For you needs, go 850 EVO, OCZ Arc100, etc. There is no need for a high performance drive like that.

I heard that Samsung had few problems with 840 version- the speed was slowing after some time
did they fixed it at 850 version?

850 EVO is fine. There are more SSD manufacturers in the mix now and you should get some fairly good pricing, at least comparing it to a couple of years ago or more. Like PCgamer4life said, once you get a new rig the SSD will move over nicely and you'll get that new rockety feeling yet again.

I heard that Samsung had few problems with 840 version- the speed was slowing after some time
did they fixed it at 850 version?
Presumably, yes. The 850 is 3D NAND, and works a bit differently. Nobody has reported the 'stale data slow downs' from the 840 series....which also has firmware available to resolve that issue.

Yea u guys are right, 850 seems to be best choice. I just found it.

About RAM:
Why i shouldnt put 1666 mhz , if my motherboard is able to work with it?

Back