• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my OLD PC really "old" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea u guys are right, 850 seems to be best choice. I just found it.

About RAM:
Why i shouldnt put 1666 mhz , if my motherboard is able to work with it?

You could, but you'd have to change the sticks you have too. It would be easier to get 2 similar sticks to the ones you have and call it a day.

You could, but you'd have to change the sticks you have too. It would be easier to get 2 similar sticks to the ones you have and call it a day.

Of course I knew it,
i was scared about I'm thinking wrong, or my processor is going to "hold me" to putting 1,6k Mhz somehow+

You won't see an appreciable gain going from 1333 to 1600 RAM. I'd just get another 2x2gb of 1333 and you'll be fine.

You see the biggest gain from going 1333 to 1600... its above that things start to tail off...

Granted. Its not much there either, but I recall the biggest gains being from 1333 to 1600. Let me see if I can dig up the article... :)

Yea u guys are right, 850 seems to be best choice. I just found it.

About RAM:
Why i shouldnt put 1666 mhz , if my motherboard is able to work with it?

Because there is no such thing as 1666Mhz DDR3, for one thing. Another member mentioned that you're locked into 1333Mhz with your CPU/platform right now.

You see the biggest gain from going 1333 to 1600... its above that things start to tail off...

Granted. Its not much there either, but I recall the biggest gains being from 1333 to 1600. Let me see if I can dig up the article... :)

You're just going to confuse the kid, ED. Let him get 2 more sticks of 1333 with similar specs and call it a day ;).

Because there is no such thing as 1666Mhz DDR3, for one thing. Another member mentioned that you're locked into 1333Mhz with your CPU/platform right now.

You're just going to confuse the kid, ED. Let him get 2 more sticks of 1333 with similar specs and call it a day ;).

I'm felling calling me a "kid" was an offensive alittle bit, but fine.

Still: Can I see this article?

There isn't much of a jump anywhere honestly, LOL... here is the link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7

From the conclusion...
Avoid DDR3-1333 (and DDR3-1600)

While memory speed did not necessarily affect our single GPU gaming results, for real-world or IGP use, memory speed above these sinks can afford a tangible (5%+) difference in throughput. Based on current pricing, after the Hynix fire, it may be worthwhile, as memory kits above DDR3-1600 are now around the same price.

Not sure if you are locked in to your speeds, I'm not an AMD guy... But I would get at least DDR3 1600 if your PC can support it. If you can't/don't want to, you are not losing much at all anyway so it may be easier to just grab the DDR3 1333 like was said earlier by pcgamer and call it a day until your real upgrade. :)

Last edited:
The DDR3-1333 rating is only the official maximum "supported" speed for Deneb-based Phenom II processors, per AMD's specifications.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it "won't" work at speeds higher than 1333MHz, it's just what AMD rated it to work with.

My Phenom II X4 965 BE worked just fine at 1600MHz speeds with 1600MHz-rated memory. I don't recall ever actually trying to go for higher memory speeds than that though.

It depends upon how good the memory controller in the processor is, and what it can handle.

The DDR3-1333 rating is only the official maximum "supported" speed for Deneb-based Phenom II processors, per AMD's specifications.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it "won't" work at speeds higher than 1333MHz, it's just what AMD rated it to work with.

My Phenom II X4 965 BE worked just fine at 1600MHz speeds with 1600MHz-rated memory. I don't recall ever actually trying to go for higher memory speeds than that though.

It depends upon how good the memory controller in the processor is, and what it can handle.

Memory controller IN the processor? On Phenom II? Methinks not.

Yeah, AMD's memory controller has been on the CPU die since the Athlon 64 processors came out in 2003/2004 with sockets 754 and 939.

As far as I know they've been on-die in every AMD platform that's come out since then.

For shizzle? Then why are their memory controllers so weak? Ever since Intel moved the mem controller on die they've been able to handle ever-faster speeds but the AMD mem controllers particularly an AM3/3+ are so pokey.

For shizzle? Then why are their memory controllers so weak? Ever since Intel moved the mem controller on die they've been able to handle ever-faster speeds but the AMD mem controllers particularly an AM3/3+ are so pokey.

AM3 was the first AMD platform to fully support DDR3. If you remember, AM3 processors' memory controllers were designed to also be compatable on AM2+ boards. So, they had to support both 1.5v DDR3 and 1.8v+ DDR2, which I'm guessing both took up a lot of die space, and forced lower bandwidth on DDR3 memory in favor of compatability.

AM3+ CPUs, as far as I remember, "support" up to 1866MHz, though I've seen a lot well past 2100MHz stable. Anyone I know personally who has tried got 2133MHz and 2400MHz ram to work at speed on their 8150/8350.

AM3 was the first AMD platform to fully support DDR3. If you remember, AM3 processors' memory controllers were designed to also be compatable on AM2+ boards. So, they had to support both 1.5v DDR3 and 1.8v+ DDR2, which I'm guessing both took up a lot of die space, and forced lower bandwidth on DDR3 memory in favor of compatability.

AM3+ CPUs, as far as I remember, "support" up to 1866MHz, though I've seen a lot well past 2100MHz stable. Anyone I know personally who has tried got 2133MHz and 2400MHz ram to work at speed on their 8150/8350.

That makes sense. Thank you for enlightening me.

All this time I thought AMD had only gone IMC on their APUs and was still using a motherboard based MC on their other stuff. IIRC Intel went IMC with either Nehalem or Lynnfield. I don't remember which. I'd guess Nehalem. I think Nehalem moved the MC on-die and later Lynnfield also moved the PCIE controller on-die.

All this time I thought AMD had only gone IMC on their APUs and was still using a motherboard based MC on their other stuff. IIRC Intel went IMC with either Nehalem or Lynnfield. I don't remember which. I'd guess Nehalem. I think Nehalem moved the MC on-die and later Lynnfield also moved the PCIE controller on-die.

Yes, Bloomfield on LGA1366 was the first Intel platform to have the memory controller on-die.

Last edited:
Back